Question of Palestine home || Permalink || About UNISPAL || Search
Situation au Liban - Rapport du Secrétaire général en application de la résolution 508

English (pdf) ||Arabic||Chinese||Français||Русский||Español||

Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS


        Security Council
6 June 1982


1. The Present report is submitted in pursuance of Security Council resolution 508(1982), which was adopted unanimously at the 2374th meeting of the Council on 5 June 1982 at 1730 hours New York time. In that resolution, the Security Council called upon "all the parties to the conflict to cease immediately and simultaneously all military activities within Lebanon and across the Lebanese-Israeli border and no later than 0600 hours local time on Sunday, 6 June 1982". 1/ The Security Council also requested me to undertake all possible efforts to ensure the implementation of and compliance with the resolution and to report to the Security Council as early as possible and not later than 48 hours after the adoption of the resolution.

2. As the Council is aware, prior to the adoption of the resolution, I had already made an urgent appeal to the parties for such a cessation of hostilities. Thereafter, following the adoption of the resolution, the representative of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) reaffirmed its commitment to stop all military operations across the Lebanese border while reserving its right to respond in case of any Israeli aggression. The Permanent Representative of Israel informed line yesterday at 2300 hours New York time that, while Israeli reactions were in exercise of its right of self-defence, the resolution of the Security Council would "be brought before the Israeli Cabinet.

3. In a message to Lieutenant-General Callaghan, the Commander of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), I instructed him to use every possibility of following up on my appeal to the parties and the subsequent resolution of the Security Council.

4. I regret to state, however, that despite all efforts throughout the night, it was not possible to effect a cease-fire. Indeed, hostilities have escalated dangerously. In this connexion, it is relevant to record that Mr. Arafat, Chairman of the Executive Committee of PLO, in response to a message from me, informed me that in spite of heavy Israeli air strikes after the scheduled time of the cease-fire, he had given orders to all PLO units to withhold fire for a further unspecified period. This was, of course, before the Israeli ground operations has started.

5. The following is the information received from the Commander of UNIFIL;

(a) Between 2100 hours GMT on 5 June 1982 and 0400 hours GMT on 6 June 1982 there were intermittent and relatively light exchanges of fire between positions of the armed elements (mainly PLO and the Lebanese National Movement) on the one hand and the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) and the de facto forces, on the other. The exchanges of fire involved, or affected, the following area; one the one side, is Lebanon, Tyre and vicinity, Chateau de Beaufort, Nabatiyah and the Kaukaba-Hasbaya area; on the other side, Marjayoun in Lebanon and the area of Metulla in Israel.

(b) From 0424 hours GMT (i.e. 0624 hours local Lebanese time, and after the cease-fire time set by the Council) to 1235 hours GMT, intensive air-attacks were launched by Israel, with approximately 110 strikes being recorded by UNIFIL. These strikes occurred principally in the area of Chateau de Beaufort and Tyre and its vicinity, from where there was anti-aircraft fire. One aircraft was observed to have been downed north of the Litani river, near Chateau de Beaufort.

(c) At around 0930 hours GMT, UNIFIL reported that Israeli ground forces - including a very large number of tanks and armoured personnel carriers - had begun to move into Lebanese territory in strength. They moved along three main axes: the west, along the coastal road; in the central sector, towards Ett-Taibe and the Akiya bridge; and in the eastern sector, through the Kafer Chouba-Chebaa area. As at 2100 hours GMT, the Israeli forces are reported to have reached the following locations; Tyre, on the coastal road, where heavy fighting is reported; in the central sector, Israeli forces have neared Nabatiyah, but it is not known whether they have entered the town; in the eastern sector, Israeli columns are moving towards Hasbaya. There is also a heavy concentration of tanks in the Khardala and Blate areas. I have also been informed by General Callaghan of extremely heavy aerial bombardment of Tyre, which is bound to cause numerous casualties as well as extensive destruction.

6. As the Israeli forces moved into southern Lebanon, the Commander of UNIFIL gave instructions for the standing operational procedures to be put into effect by all units. These include measures to block advancing forces and also defence measures. The overwhelming strength and weight of the Israeli forces precluded the possibility of stopping them, and UNIFIL positions in the line of the invasion have thus been overrun or bypassed.

7. UNIFIL is, of course, a peace-keeping force with a specific mandate entrusted; to it by the Security Council, which is based on the assumption that the parties to the conflict will take the necessary steps for compliance with the decisions of the Security Council. The Force has neither the mandate, nor the military capacity, to counter an invasion such as is now taking place, which is estimated to comprise more than two mechanized divisions with full air and naval support.

8. Finally, I must inform the Council with profound regret that a Norwegian soldier has been killed by shrapnel in circumstances that are not yet clear. I shall report to the Council on further developments.


1/ I.e. 0400 hours GMT on 6 June, or midnight New York time at 5/6 June.

Follow UNISPAL RSS Twitter