Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
Vice-President and Rapporteur: Mr. Alejandro Artucio (Uruguay)
Draft report of the Council*
* Document A/HRC/6/L.10 contains the chapters of the report relating to the organization of the session and the items on the agenda up to the conclusion of the first part of the sixth session on 28 September 2007.
Recalling its resolutions S-1/1 of 6 July 2006 and S-3/1 of 15 November 2006,
Noting with regret that Israel, the occupying Power, has not implemented to date these two resolutions and hindered the dispatching of the urgent fact-finding missions specified therein,
1. Calls for the implementation of its resolutions S-1/1 and S-3/1, including the dispatching of the urgent fact-finding missions;
2. Requests the President of the Human Rights Council and the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights to report to the Council at its next session on their efforts for the implementation of Council resolutions S-1/1 and S-3/1 and on the compliance of Israel, the occupying Power, with these two resolutions.
Recalling the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights,
Recalling also article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which stipulates that everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in that Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status, and that no distinction should be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty,
Aware of the responsibility of the international community to promote human rights and ensure respect for international law,
Emphasizing the particularity of Occupied East Jerusalem in its rich religious and cultural heritage,
Recalling relevant Security Council resolutions on Occupied East Jerusalem,
Affirming the applicability of the Fourth Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, to the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem,
Deeply concerned at the Israeli actions undermining the sanctity and inviolability of religious sites in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem,
Deeply concerned also at the Israeli policy of closures and the severe restrictions, including curfews and the permit regime, that continue to be imposed on the movement of Palestinians and their free access to their holy sites, including Al Aqsa Mosque,
1. Stresses that all policies and measures taken by Israel, the occupying Power, to limit access of Palestinians to their holy sites, particularly in Occupied East Jerusalem, on the basis of national origin, religion, birth, sex or any other status are in violation of the provisions of the above-mentioned instruments and resolutions and therefore must cease immediately;
2. Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to respect the religious and cultural rights enumerated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and to allow Palestinian worshippers unfettered access to their religious sites;
3. Requests the High Commissioner for Human Rights to report to the Council at its next session on the implementation of the present resolution.