Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
Report of the Human Rights Council
(8-24 September 2008)
The designations employed and the presentation of the material in this publication do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Secretariat of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Checklist of resolutions, decisions and President’s statements
9/18. Follow-up to resolution S-3/1: human rights violations emanating from Israeli military incursions in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and the shelling of Beit Hanoun
The Human Rights Council,
Recalling its resolution S-3/1 of 15 November 2006, in which the Council decided to dispatch urgently a high-level fact-finding mission, to be appointed by the President of the Human Rights Council, to travel to Beit Hanoun to, inter alia, assess the situation of victims, address the needs of survivors, and make recommendations on ways and means to protect Palestinian civilians against any further Israeli assaults,
1. Welcomes the report of the high-level fact-finding mission on Beit Hanoun (A/HRC/9/26);
2. Calls upon all concerned parties to ensure the full and immediate implementation of the recommendations of the fact-finding mission contained in its report;
3. Recommends that the General Assembly consider the report with the participation of the members of the mission;
4. Regrets the delay in the fulfilment of the mission owing to the non-cooperation of Israel, the occupying Power;
5. Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to abide by its obligations under international law, international humanitarian law and international human rights law;
6. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the Council at its next session on the implementation of the recommendations contained in the report of the mission;
7. Decides to remain seized of the matter.