Question of Palestine home
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
19 March 2008
OFFICE FOR THE COORDINATION OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS
P.O. Box 38712, East Jerusalem, Phone: (+972) 2-582 9962 / 582 5853, Fax: (+972) 2-582 5841
Protection of Civilians Weekly Report
19 – 25 March 2008
Of note this week
- Three Palestinians were killed, including a 61-year-old farmer and an Islamic Jihad member who died of wounds sustained during an IAF missile attack on 18 March. In addition, the IDF injured a member of the Palestinian Resistance Committees during clashes in Rafah and a four-year-old girl when the IDF opened fire at a group of people living adjacent to the border in Central Gaza.
- Three Palestinians were killed and three injured when four tunnels collapsed along the Gaza-Egypt border.
- On three occasions, the IDF carried out levelling and excavation operations in the Gaza and Central Gaza governorates.
- 20 March: Palestinians holding Egyptian residency who have been stuck in the Gaza Strip began a hunger strike inside the Rafah Youth and Sports Centre, demanding that they be allowed to return to Egypt.
- 23 rudimentary rockets and 19 mortars were fired at Israel.
- Israeli settlers injured four Palestinians with stones, including one woman, and the IDF injured four others. One Israeli settler was injured by a stone.
- On 20 and 21 March, the IDF closed all the main roads and dirt roads leading into Beita village with earth mounds, including the main entrance connecting the village to Road 60, after Palestinians threw stones and fire bombs at Israeli settlers' vehicles travelling on Road 60 near the village (Nablus).
- Between 20 and 23 March, the IDF imposed a general closure on the West Bank due to the Jewish Holiday of Purim. Palestinian permit holders, including workers and traders, denied access through all the checkpoints leading to East Jerusalem and Israel.
- The IDF demolished 12 structures (9 in Hebron, 2 in Jerusalem and 1 in Jenin). As a result, 56 people were displaced, including 38 children.
- The IDF imposed 54 curfew hours in 'Azzun village in response to stone throwing at Israeli settlers' vehicles. 8,262 people were affected and schools in the village were closed on two days (Qalqiliya).
- A total of 82 flying checkpoints, 99 search operations and 71 arrests/detentions were reported.
Complete document in PDF format