Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
Referring to our letter No. 317/lb/431 (S/11572), and on instructions from my Government, I have the honour to bring to your attention the following:
Since 12 December 1974, Israel has committed the acts of aggression listed below:
1. Israeli warplanes penetrated Lebanese air space and crossed the sound barrier causing sonic booms 44 times.
2. Israeli warships intruded into Lebanese territorial waters 10 times.
3. Israeli guns shelled positions inside Lebanon 347 times.
4. Israeli machine guns were fired across the frontier l4 times.
5. Israeli soldiers crossed the frontiers on eight occasions.
As a result of these criminal acts, Lebanon suffered the following casualties:
1. Four civilians and one soldier were killed.
2. Twelve civilians and one soldier were wounded.
3. Nine civilians were kidnapped.
Material damages included:
1. Seventeen houses destroyed.
2. One house severely damaged.
3. A part of the tobacco crop destroyed.
4. One tractor hit.
5. Seven motor vehicles damaged.
6. One motor vehicle completely destroyed.
These unprovoked and murderous attacks on the life and property of innocent persons aim to intimidate the Lebanese people, and sustain a situation of lawlessness and terror. They constitute a flagrant encroachment an Lebanon's sovereignty and a violation of the Lebanese/Israeli Armistice Agreement.
Israeli criminal aggression against Lebanon exacerbates Middle East tensions and undermines the efforts to reach a peaceful settlement in the area. Furthermore, they indicate Israel's disregard of Security Council warnings against the repetiti«n of such acts which endanger international peace and security.
The Lebanese Government strongly protests Israel's unwarranted aggression against Lebanon and reserves the right to call a meeting of the Security Council at an appropriate time, should it deem that necessary.
I have the honour to request that this letter be circulated as an official document of the Security Council.