Question of Palestine home
6 March 1985
6 March 1985
LETTER DATED 6 MARCH 1985 FROM THE ACTING PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE
OF INDIA TO THE UNITED NATIONS ADDRESSED TO THE SECRETARY-GENERAL
I have the honor to forward herewith the text of a communiqué adopted today by the Co-ordinating Bureau of the Movement of Non-aligned Countries regarding the situation in the areas occupied by Israel in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district and to request that it be circulated as a document of the Security Council.
) Vinay VERMA
Acting Permanent Representative
Text of communiqué adopted by the Co-ordinating Bureau of the Movement of Non-aligned Countries on 6 March 1985 on the situation in the areas occupied by Israel in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district
1. The Co-ordinating Bureau of Non-aligned Countries held an urgent session in New York on 6 March 1985 to consider the situation in the areas occupied by Israel in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and
the Rashaya district. The Bureau heard a statement by the Permanent Representative of Lebanon to the United Nations, H.E. Mr. Rachid Fakhoury, concerning the latest Israeli operations and abusive practices against the civilian population in the Lebanese territories occupied by Israel. The Bureau expressed its grave concern at the deteriorating situation which threatens peace and security in the area as a result of these Israeli practices.
2. The Bureau recalled the relevant provisions of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and stressed the humanitarian principles of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 12 August 1949 and the obligations arising from the regulations annexed to the Hague Convention of 1907. The Bureau condemned the Israeli practices and measures against the civilian population in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district which are in violation of the rules and principles of international law, in particular the provisions of the Geneva Convention of 12 August 1949.
3. The Bureau recalled the Declaration adopted by the Seventh Conference of Heads of State or Government of Non-aligned Countries held in New Delhi in March 1983. It reaffirmed the communiqué adopted by the Meeting of Ministers and Heads of Delegation of Non-aligned Countries in New York in October 1984. The Bureau called on the Security Council urgently to implement the Security Council resolutions on Lebanon, particularly resolutions 425 (1978), 508 (1982) and 509 (1982), to ensure Israel's immediate and unconditional withdrawal from the Lebanese territories to the internationally recognized borders. The Bureau reiterated its support for Lebanon's sovereignty, independence, territorial integrity and unity.
4. The Bureau expressed its support for the efforts of the Government of Lebanon to extend its authority over all of its territory and to its determination to restore peace and
order in the areas to be evacuated by Israel and to ensure the safety and security of the civilian populations in those areas, including the Palestinian refugees in the camps.
5. The Bureau affirmed that the provisions of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 applied to the territories occupied by Israel in southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district and that the occupying Power is duty bound to respect and uphold the provisions of the said Convention and of other norms of international law. It demanded that Israel, the occupying Power, desist forthwith from its illegal and abusive practices against the civilian population in these areas in violation of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 and other norms of international law and immediately lift all restrictions and obstacles to the restoration of normal conditions in the areas under its occupation.