U N I T E D N A T I O N S
Economic and Social Council
1 March 1977
ECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR WESTERN ASIA
18-23 April 1977
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Item 5 of the Provisional Agenda
APPLICATION OF THE PALESTINE LIBERATION ORGANIZATION FOR
FULL MEMBER SHIP OF THE ECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR WESTERN ASIA
Note by the Executive Secretary
1. The Executive Secretary received a letter dated 11 December 1976, from Mr. Walid Kamhawi, Chairman of the Palestinian National Fund, conveying the wish of the Palestine Liberation Organization to attain full membership status with the Economic Commission for Western Asia, and requesting that the application should be included in the agenda of the commission's fourth session. Since then the Executive Secretary has received communications from two member States of the commission supporting the application and requesting its inclusion on the agenda of the fourth session.
2. Rule 5 of the Provisional Rules of Procedure of the commission states:
"1. The Executive Secretary shall draw up the provisional agenda for each session of the commission, in consultation with the chairman.
2. The provisional agenda shall include all items required by these rules or proposed by:
(a) The Commission;
(b) The Council;
(c) A member of the Commission;
2. Resolution 1818(VL) entitled "Establishment of an economic commission for Western Asia," adopted by the Economic and social council of the United Nations on 9 August 1973, sets out the terms of reference of the Economic Commission for Western Asia. The commission took note of the resolution at its first session, Beirut, 3-8 June 1974.
Paragraph (2) of the resolution states:
"The members of the commission shall consist of the States Members of the United Nations situated in Western Asia which at present call on the services of the United nations Economic and social Office in Beirut. Future applications for memberships by member States shall be decided on by the Council upon the recommendation of the commission.
4. The commission may wish therefore to recommend to the Economic and Social Council to amend paragraph (2) of its resolution 1818 (LV), restricting the membership of the commission to Members States of the United Nations, and decide to transmit the application of the Palestine Liberation Organization for the consideration of the Economic and Social Council accordingly.
Document in PDF format