Protection of Civilians Weekly Report
28 May – 3 June 2008
· The IDF killed four Palestinians, including two unarmed civilians, and injured 21 others. Palestinian militants shot and injured two IDF soldiers in the Gaza Strip and one in Israel.
· The IDF carried out eight excavation and levelling operations, destroying more than 355 dunums of agricultural land.
· On five occasions, the IDF opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats at sea, forcing them to return to shore.
· During IDF military operations in Rafah, the IDF demolished four Palestinian houses.
· A group of unknown Palestinian militants opened fire at a group of Hamas militants. Despite heavy gunfire, no injuries were reported.
· Seven Palestinians were injured in a house when an explosive device which was being prepared detonated prematurely.
· A total of 33 rudimentary rockets and 28 mortars were fired at Israel, resulting in the injury of five Israeli civilians in one incident. In addition, Palestinian militants fired 23 mortars at IDF soldiers operating inside the Gaza Strip.
· The IDF injured 29 Palestinians, 17 of them in Ni’lin during demonstrations against the requisition of land for Barrier construction and the resulting isolation of around 2,500 dunams of Palestinian private agricultural land.
· The IDF uprooted 47 olive trees due to Barrier construction in Ni’lin (Ramallah).
· The IDF distributed demolition orders against nine houses and six other structures in the southern West Bank.
· Six Palestinians were physically assaulted by Israeli police and intelligence officers who were attempting to cancel a memorial gathering held at Al Hakawati Theatre to commemorate the death of a former Palestinian political figure, Mr. Faisal Huseini.
· The IDF closed the road between At Tuwani and Yatta with concrete blocks.
· In five different incidents across the West Bank, Palestinians threw stones at Israeli vehicles travelling on West Bank roads. No injuries were reported but some vehicles sustained damage.
· Eight Palestinians were injured by Palestinian police forces in Beit Furik. This took place when a group of Palestinians attacked the police station after police forces confiscated 86 unlicensed and stolen vehicles.
· 74 flying checkpoints, 110 IDF search operations, and 79 arrests/detentions of Palestinians were reported this week.