Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
Held at Headquarters, New York, on Monday, 22 October 2001, at 3 p.m.
Chairman: Mr. Al-Hinai ....................................................... (Oman)
Agenda item 115: Promotion and protection of the rights of children
The meeting was called to order at 3.15 p.m.
Agenda item 115: Promotion and protection of the rights of children (A/56/203, A/56/222-S/2001/736, A/56/342-S/2001/852, A/56/453, A/56/488)
1. Ms. Hammam (Director of the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict) read out the statement of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict.
37. Ms. Al Haj Ali (Syrian Arab Republic) expressed regret that the report of the Secretary-General on the protection of children affected by armed conflict made no mention of the situation of children under the yoke of foreign occupation. Although everyone knew what was happening with those children, that was not enough to protect their rights.
42. Ms. Barghouti (Palestine) said that, despite the very late receipt of the Secretary-General’s report on children and armed conflict, her delegation had been able to examine the report and had found that it contained no reference to children affected by armed occupation. She asked whether that had been an omission in the report and said that she would comment further on the issue in a later statement.
45. Ms. Hammam (Director of the Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Children and Armed Conflict), ...
48. Turning to the question asked by the representative of the Syrian Arab Republic and the Observer for Palestine, she said that any foreign occupation implied a situation of armed conflict which affected children and that her Office, as part of its research agenda, intended to deal with that issue through both research and promotion activities.
The meeting rose at 5.45 p.m.
This record is subject to correction. Corrections should be sent under the signature of a member of the delegation concerned within one week of the date of publication to the Chief of the Official Records Editing Section, room DC2-750, 2 United Nations Plaza, and incorporated in a copy of the record. Corrections will be issued after the end of the session, in a separate corrigendum for each Committee.