DRAFT RULES OF PROCEDURE
Working Paper Prepared by the Secretariat
2. Rule 149 of the Rules of procedure of the General Assembly adopted on 17 November 1947, which came into force on 1 January 1948 reads as follows:
“The General Assembly may establish such subsidiary organs as it deems necessary for the performance of its functions. The rules relating to the procedure of committees of the General Assembly, as well as Rules 38 and 55, shall apply to the procedure of any subsidiary organ, unless the General Assembly or the subsidiary organ, decides otherwise.”
3. Until the adoption, therefore, of particular Rules of Procedure for the United Nations Palestine Commission, Chapter XII of the Assembly’s Rules, and Rules 38 and 55, should be applied.
However, owing to the extraordinary character of the Commission, some adaptations, modifications, and additional Rules may be considered necessary. In this connection, the attached Draft Rules of Procedure are submitted by the Secretariat for the consideration of the Commission. The proposed modifications and additional Rules are mainly based on the Rules of Procedure of the United Nations Special Committee on Palestine, and of other United Nations organs. The number of the corresponding Rule of Procedure of the General Assembly or United Nations Special Committee on Palestine is indicated in brackets after each Rule. Additional Rules and modifications in the Rules of Procedure of the General Assembly are underlined. It is suggested that any Rules of Procedure that may be adopted at present should be considered as provisional in order to allow for any changes which may become necessary later on in the light of experience.
Rule 1 (1)
Rule 3 (12)
1. Items proposed by the Commission at any previous meeting;
2. Items proposed by any member of the Commission;
3. Items proposed by the General Assembly;
4. Items proposed by the Security Council;
5. Items proposed by a sub-commission, or committee or sub-committee of the Commission;
6. All items communications or reports which the Chairman or the Secretariat may deem necessary to put before the Commission.
Rule 6 (94)
Rule 9 (38)
Rule 13 (5 of UNSCOP)
Rule 17 (new rule)
Rule 19 (98)
(a) to suspend the meeting;
(b) to adjourn the meeting;
(c) to adjourn the debate on the item under discussion;
(d) for the closure of the debate on the item under discussion.
Rule 33 (113)
Rule 43 (93)
Rule 46 (31 of UNSCOP)
Rule 47 (32 and 33 of UNSCOP).
Rule 52 (now rule)
Rule 53 (new rule)
Rule 54 (New Rule)
Rule 55 (new rule)
Rule 56 (Assembly’s Resolution p. 6)
2. The Commission shall make its final report to the next regular session of the General Assembly to the Security Council simultaneously.
Rule 57 (38 of UNSCOP)
Document in PDF format