Question of Palestine home
Economic and Social Council
4 January 1996
COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
Item 4 of the provisional agenda
QUESTION OF THE VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS IN THE OCCUPIED ARAB
TERRITORIES, INCLUDING PALESTINE
Report of the Secretary-General
1. At its fifty-first session, the Commission on Human Rights adopted resolution 1995/1 entitled "Question of the violation of human rights in the occupied Arab territories, including Palestine". By paragraph 5 of resolution 1995/1, the Commission requested the Secretary-General to bring that resolution to the attention of the Government of Israel and all other Governments, the competent United Nations organs, the specialized agencies, regional intergovernmental organizations and international humanitarian organizations, to disseminate it on the widest possible scale, and to report on its implementation by the Government of Israel to the Commission on Human Rights at its fifty-second session.
2. In accordance with the requests of the Commission, the Secretary-General brought resolution 1995/1 to the attention of the Government of Israel and all other Governments, by a note verbale dated 15 May 1995. It was also communicated to the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories and to the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People.
3. Furthermore, the resolution was transmitted to all the specialized agencies and to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East. In addition, the resolution was brought to the attention of competent regional intergovernmental organizations and international humanitarian organizations.
4. The Department of Public Information undertook the activities enumerated in document E/CN.4/1995/19, paragraph 4.
5. No reply from Israel had been received at the time of the preparation of the present report.