Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
In accordance with Article 54 of the Charter of the United Nations, I have the honour to transmit herewith a statement dated 5 October 2003, issued by the Council of the League of Arab States at its extraordinary meeting at the level of permanent representatives concerning the dangerous situation resulting from the wanton Israeli aggression targeting a civilian site in the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic (see annex).
I should be grateful if you would draw the attention of the members of the Security Council to this letter and its annex and issue both for circulation as a document of the Security Council.
Annex to the letter dated 6 October 2003 from the Permanent Observer of the League of Arab States to the United Nations addressed to the President of the Security Council
Statement issued on 5 October 2003 by the Council of the League of Arab States at its extraordinary meeting at the level of permanent representatives
The Council of the League of Arab States convened an emergency meeting at the level of permanent representatives on 5 October 2003 at the request of the Syrian Arab Republic in order to examine the dangerous situation resulting from the wanton Israeli aggression targeting a civilian site in Syrian territory.
After hearing the account given by the Permanent Representative of the Syrian Arab Republic and discussing the grave deterioration of the situation in the region,
And after taking note of the emergency convening of the Security Council in order to consider the Israeli aggression, the Council of the League wishes to state that it:
1. Regards this aggression as a serious escalation that threatens regional and international security and peace and poses grave obstacles that exacerbate the situation in the region and are likely to trigger a spiral of violence throughout the region; and requests the Security Council to assume its responsibility as the principal organ for the maintenance of international security and peace and to consider this matter under Chapter VII;
2. Condemns this Israeli aggression, which it regards as a further flagrant defiance of all international charters and treaties and of the principles of international law, and holds Israel fully responsible for whatever may result from this aggression;
3. Affirms its stand and solidarity with the Syrian Arab Republic and its support for such measures as the latter may adopt to defend its legitimate right to respond to such aggression, and calls upon the Security Council to intervene immediately to prevent Israel from pursuing its policy of provocation and aggression against the Syrian Arab Republic;
4. Calls upon the Security Council to bring an immediate and decisive end to organized State terrorism and Israeli occupation practices against the Palestinian people and against the Syrian Arab Republic and Lebanon, so that the entire region is not exposed to further escalation and instability;
5. Regards this aggression as confirmation of the aggressive nature of Israel and its Government, which continuously thwart all peace efforts and initiatives;
6. Decides to keep its session open in order to follow the developments in the situation and requests the Secretary-General to make the necessary contacts, in conjunction with the Government of the Syrian Arab Republic and the permanent States members of the Security Council, with a view to following those developments.