My dear Bunch,
The Commission will no doubt wish to have the latest information available here about the position in Haifa.
2. Reports, which are subject to confirmation, have been received from Jerusalem to the effect that the situation in Haifa is as follows: -
(1) There has been heavy continuous fighting in Haifa Town since midday on the 21st April, after British Forces had withdrawn to positions covering the Port.
(2) Jewish attacks by night on Arab outposts at Burj Hill and Prophets’ Steps and on the Telephone Exchange were successful.
(3) Khoury House, the headquarters of the Palestine Railways, was set on fire and was gutted with all records.
(4) Jewish Forces have captured Salameh Building and positions in the Station Street – Burj Hill area and are now closing in on Khamra Square.
(5) The fire in the Port caused by mortaring has been extinguished.
(6) Heavy firing continues with mortaring of the Suq (market) area, which is reported deserted.
(7) Arabs are evacuating in large numbers by sea to Acre.
(8) Total casualties are believed to be heavy, including one British Constable wounded.
(9) British Police at the Haifa lock-up are being evacuated and the prisoners released.
(10) Military authorities are helping in the evacuation with landing-craft. The above Report is dated 9.40 a.m. Palestine Time, 22nd April,