1. Overall Progress:
Karni Crossing was open for 8 days out of 11 (67%) scheduled days compared to 11 out of 12 (92%) days in the previous reporting period. Rafah crossing was only open for 2 days out of 14 scheduled days (2 days less than the previous period) and 13% of scheduled operating hours compared to 21% during the previous reporting period. Israeli authorities stated that the reason for closure of Sufa Crossing during the reporting period was due to security concerns.
Changes of note since Report No. 39 (15 May):
• Karni crossing was open on 8 out of 11 scheduled operating days3, 23% of scheduled working hours, enabling a total of 1,646 truckloads of imported goods (excluding aggregates/construction materials), or an average of 205 trucks for every day open, into the Gaza Strip. Daily average for the previous period was 259 trucks per open day. A total of 142 truckloads of goods were exported compared to 380 during the last reporting period. This is a daily average of 12 truckloads, representing 3% of the 400 truckloads of exported goods per day target set under the AMA.
• Sufa crossing was closed during all days.
• Kerem Shalom crossing was open on 1 day (compared to two days in the previous period) for the import of humanitarian supplies.
• Erez crossing continues to remain closed to Palestinian workers. However, it remained partially open for the movement of Palestinian traders and humanitarian (medical) cases throughout the reporting period. On average, 319 traders crossed each day compared to 331 in the previous reporting period. According to the Palestinian DCO there work was interrupted on 23, 25 and 26 June due to Palestinian mortar shelling. Erez was open on the Israel public holiday of Pentecost (23 May).
• Obstacles to movement in the West Bank increased compared to the previous reporting (from 549 to 553). This represents an increase of 177 obstacles or 47% over the baseline figure of August 2005.
• There was one reported security incident near Karni crossing during the last reporting period that continued into this period. On 15 May an internal factional gun battle took place near the southern side of Karni which forced the PA to request a closing of for a total of four days - three days during this reporting period.
Truck convoys no discussion; implementation now 16 months overdue.
Airport awaiting, since November 2005 commencement of discussions.
3 On 16,17 and 18 May the crossing was closed at the request of the Palestinian authorities due to the internal security situation. The crossing was closed on the Israel public holiday of Pentecost (23 May)..
For more information email: email@example.com | Address: P.O. Box 38712 Jerusalem Phone: +972 (0)2 5829962 / 5825853 | Fax: +972 (0)2 5825841 www.ochaopt.org