Protection of Civilians Weekly Report
27 February – 4 March 2008
Gaza Strip: IDF Operation “Warm Winter” (27 February – 4 March 2008)
· 120 Palestinians, including six women and 34 children, were kiled by the IDF and 269 Palestinians, including 12 women and 63 children, were injured. The operation came folowing an increase in hostilities between the Gaza Strip and Israel.
· The IAF carried out 82 air strikes.
· 224 rockets and 49 mortars were fired towards Israel by Palestinian armed groups. As a result, one Israeli man was kiled and 14 others (including 1 child) were injured. 78 additional mortars were fired at IDF soldiers inside the Gaza Strip.
· Twenty-four demonstrations and two sit-ins were organised in various part of the Gaza Strip to protest against the Israeli military operation.
· 11 structures were demolished and over 55 damaged.
· Hamas and the Egyptian authorities agreed to alow up to 250 Palestinian patients to cross to Egypt through Rafah crossing to receive medical treatment. 25 patients reportedly crossed on 3 March and 40 on 4 March.
· The IDF kiled four Palestinians and injured 61 others. One death and 48 (including 28 children) injuries occurred during demonstrations against the Israeli military operation in the Gaza Strip. Half of the injuries (10 adults and 21 children) occurred in demonstrations in the Hebron governorate.
· Israeli setlers kiled a 17-year-old Palestinian in Ramalah and injured another man in Nablus. Three Israeli setlers and four IDF soldiers were injured in Hebron and Jerusalem governorates.
· The IDF handed over one demolition order (Salfit) and occupied two Palestinian houses to use them as military posts (Hebron).
· The IDF requisitioned 587.99 dunums of land (T/88/06) from Beit ‘Ur al Fauqa, ‘Ein Arik and Beituniya to open a new “fabric of life” road between Beit ‘Ur al Fauqa and Beituniya.
· The IDF imposed 146 curfew hours on localities in the Nablus, Qalqiliya, Tulkarm and Bethlehem governorates. More than 25,000 Palestinians in these areas were affected.
· The Israeli DCL reported that the age restriction imposed at Hamara and Tayasir checkpoints on 6 February 2007 was lifted on 26 February. However, access for Palestinian males between 16 and 35 years of age continues to be difficult.
· 116 flying checkpoints, 120 IDF search operations and 119 arrests were reported.