Question of Palestine home
28 October 1992
Agenda item 35
SITUATION IN THE MIDDLE EAST
Letter dated 28 October 1992 from the Permanent Representative
of Lebanon to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
On instructions from my Government and with reference to our earlier correspondence concerning Israeli acts of aggression on Lebanese territory, I have the honour to inform you below of the new Israeli attacks on Lebanese towns and villages in various areas during the last few days.
l. At noon on Monday, 26 October 1992, Ain Tine in the western Bekaa and the areas around the course of the Litani river were subjected to bombardment with 155-millimetre artillery from the occupied border strip, at a rate of one shell per minute. This caused a large-scale exodus of population from the above-mentioned village and from Maidoun and Machgara.
2. At noon on the same day, Jebaa was subjected to bombardment with 155-millimetre artillery and tank guns, which caused great damage to property and started fires in wooded areas owing to the use of fragmentation shells.
3. At 1330 hours on 26 October 1992, Zawtar El-Gharbieh, Mazraat El-Hamra, Kaakaye and Mrouj were subjected to artillery bombardment from the positions of the occupation forces at Tallet El-Shraika.
4. At 1355 hours on 26 October 1992, Kfartbnit was subjected to shelling by the Israeli tanks at Tallet Ali Taher. Thirteen villagers were wounded, including a number of children.
5. On the same date, Israeli helicopters fired rockets at the homes of citizens in the same village (Kfartbnit), causing large-scale material damage.
6. At 1620 hours on 26 October 1992, an Israeli helicopter fired two rockets at a house in Zawtar El-Charkieh, while another helicopter raided the outskirts of the village, causing four deaths among the population.
7. At 1640 hours on the same day, two Israeli Air Force aircraft carried out a raid on the Jabal Safi, Mlita, Jarjou and Ain Bossoir areas, causing damage to property.
8. At 1650 hours on 26 October 1992, four Israeli aircraft carried out a raid on the Maidoun and Ain Tine areas.
9. At 1900 hours on the same date, Israeli military aircraft carried out a raid on the Maximus V Hakim School in the village of Abra east of Sidon, destroying the building and causing large-scale damage to neighboring buildings.
10. At the same time on the same date, Qilya, Dallafa and Ain Tine were subjected to artillery bombardment, and the Lebanese army post there were hit.
11. At 1940 hours on 26 October 1992, Zawtar El-Charkieh, Zawtar El-Gharbieh and Jebchit were subjected to bombardment with 155-millimetre artillery from the occupied strip.
12. At 1945 hours, the Mrouj area on the outskirts of Kfarfila, Jebaa and Loueize were subjected to mortar bombardment from occupied Tallet El-Nabi Soujoud.
13. At 2000 hours on the same date, the outskirts of Nabatiye, Kfarjoz, Habbouche, Kfour, Deir Zahrani and Toul were hit by 155-millimetre phosphorous shells, which started fires in the wooded areas belonging to Toul.
14. At 2000 hours on the afternoon of 26 October 1992, the Palestine refugee camp at Nahr El-Bared in northern Lebanon was subjected to violent artillery bombardment by the Israeli army. The bombardment was resumed at 2134 hours and caused fires inside the camp, the death of one person and the wounding of a number of others.
15. At 1245 hours on 27 October 1992, Israeli military aircraft conducted a raid on a building in Kab Elias in the Bekaa, destroying the building and leaving two dead and five wounded.
16. At the lame time on the same date, Israeli aircraft conducted a raid on the farmland of Beit Touchown, east of Hermel in the northern Bekaa, causing the wounding of one Lebanese woman and the death of three other persons.
17. At 0130 houri on 27 October 1992, the Machgara electric power plant was subjected to bombardment with 120-millimetre mortar shells. The plant suffered a direct hit and was put out of operation.
The above-mentioned attacks have caused the deaths of more than 13 persons, the wounding of dozens more and enormous damage to property, as well as the flight of thousands of innocent citizens to safe areas. The attacks were accompanied by constant overflights by Israeli aircraft and by the massing of armoured units of the Israeli army in the occupied territory in southern Lebanon. In addition, Israeli officials have made various statements expressing their intentions to continue the acts of aggression against the Lebanese population and territory.
The Lebanese Government, in censuring and condemning the latest Israeli attacks, draws the attention of the Secretary-General and the members of the Security Council, in particular the five permanent members, to the danger and extent of the military operations directed against civilians in Lebanese towns and villages in the south, the Bekaa and the north. These attacks are unjustified and are incompatible with the Israeli Government's assertion that it is responding to the limited national resistance operations, which are a natural result of the continuation of the Israeli occupation of Lebanese territory in the south and the western Bekaa.
The Lebanese Government calls upon the international Organization, with its specialized bodies, especially the Security Council, to put an end to the Israeli violations and acts of violence against Lebanon and the Lebanese by the implementation of Security Council resolution 425 (1978) which provides for the immediate and unconditional withdrawal of the Israeli occupation forces and a halt to the continuing Israeli aggression against the sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity of Lebanon and the rights of its citizens.
The Lebanese Government affirms that, while it is anxious to continue the peace talks and to strive for their success, the Israeli attacks will not dissuade it from pursuing the question of the liberation of the occupied Lebanese south, as a national and political priority that it will strive to achieve with all its power and with international support.
I should be grateful if you would have this letter circulated as a document of the General Assembly, under agenda item 35, and of the Security Council.
(Signed) Khalil MAKKAWI