STATEMENT BY DR. EVATT, CHAIRMAN
AD HOC COMMITTEE ON PALESTINE
In accordance with the authority vested in me today by the Ad Hoc Committee on the Palestinian Question and taking into account the views expressed by many delegations at the end of today’s meeting as to willingness to serve on the two Subcommittees, I have determined upon the membership of the Subcommittee as follows:
(1) to draw up a detailed plan for the future government of Palestine in accordance with the basic principles of the unanimous recommendations and the majority plan of the Special Committee on Palestine;
(2) to incorporate this plan in the form of recommendations;
(3) to consider the exercise of administrative responsibility in Palestine during the transitional period, including the possibility of the application of Chapter XII of the Charter; and
(4) to consider methods by which recommendations of the Ad Hoc Committee on the Palestinian Question under Paragraph 1 above, would be put into affect.
The membership of Subcommittee No. 2 will be as follows:
(1) to draw up a detailed plans for the future government of Palestine in accordance with the basic principles of the proposals submitted to the Assembly by the Delegations of Saudi Arabia and Iraq and the proposal submitted to the Ad Hoc Committee by the Delegation of. Syria; and
(2) to incorporate this plan in the form of recommendations.
In view of the urgency of the matter each Subcommittee is required to transmit its report and recommendations to this Ad Hoc Committee not later than 29 October inst.
The Ad Hoc Committee will reconvene to consider the two reports as soon. as possible after their receipt. The next meeting is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, October 30.AC