Question of Palestine home
Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
26 March 2008
Of note this week
- The IDF killed six Palestinians and injured eight others. One Islamic Jihad member also died of wounds sustained during the IDF incursion into Jabaliya on 1 March.
- One Israeli man was injured at a kibbutz near the Gaza border when armed Islamic Jihad members opened fire at a group of Israeli engineers performing maintenance work.
- On 26 March, two IDF bulldozers, supported by 10 IDF tanks, entered approximately one kilometre east of Khan Younis, carried out a levelling and excavation operation, uprooted 50 dunums of olive trees, and demolished three houses and a chicken farm.
- Gaza bakeries began a strike in different areas of the Strip to demand an increase in the price of bread in accordance with the overall rise in the prices of flour, yeast and fuel due to the closure imposed on the Gaza Strip and their short supply on the market.
- Gaza citizens faced major transportation difficulties this week due to fuel shortage. The streets noticeably had fewer vehicles than usual and private and public vehicles lined up for long hours at petrol stations in desperate attempts to obtain their fuel needs.
- The IDF carried out five levelling and excavation operations in the Central Gaza and Khan Younis governorates.
- Seventeen rudimentary rockets and 34 mortars were fired at Israel. No injuries were reported as a result.
- The IDF injured five Palestinians in Tulkarm and Ramallah governorates. In addition, Israeli settlers killed one Palestinian man (Ramallah) and injured three others, including one woman (Nablus, Qalqiliya and Hebron).
- Israeli settlers from the outpost of Havat Ma'on injured two sheep when they opened fire at a flock of sheep in Al Kharouba Valley (Hebron).
- Israeli settlers from the settlement of Efrat uprooted 100 trees in the vicinity of the new construction site in the settlement (Bethlehem).
- On 31 March, the IDF closed with earth mounds a road connecting Bal'a to 'Anabta and a dirt road connecting Dhinnaba to Izbat abu Khmeish. On the same day, the earth mounds were removed by the IDF.
- The IDF dismantled At Tayba checkpoint near Rimmonim settlement on 31 March. This partial checkpoint controlled access between Ramallah and the Jordan Valley.
- The IDF imposed a total of 17 curfew hours on 'Azzun (Qalqiliya) and Marda (Salfit) after Palestinian threw stones at Israeli settlers' vehicles travelling on Road 55 and Road 505 respectively.
- 85 flying checkpoints, 91 search operations and 62 arrests/detentions were reported.
Complete document in PDF format