Protection of Civilians Weekly Report
20 – 26 February 2008
· Eleven Palestinians, including three who were on picnic east of Beit Hanun, were killed and five injured by the IDF.
· Six demonstrations and two sit-ins took place in various parts of the Gaza Strip, including five to protest against the siege.
· The IDF carried out three leveling and excavation operations in the Central Gaza and Rafah governorates.
· The Palestinian Popular Committee against the Siege organised a human chain of about 13,000 people on 25 February to protest against the siege imposed on the Gaza Strip. The chain extended from Rafah to Beit Hanun along Salah Ed-Din road.
· 42 rockets and 26 mortars were fired towards Israel, resulting in the injury of one Israeli woman and two children.
· Twenty-one Palestinians were injured by the IDF, all in the northern West Bank.
· 22 February: A prisoner affiliated with Hamas died while in PA custody. The PA claimed that the prisoner died of an underlying medical condition (Ramallah).
· 21 February: Seventeen gas stations in Bethlehem Governorate closed down to protest against a decision by the Israeli authorities to transfer the fuel filing point from the village of Al Khader (Bethlehem) to Tarqumiya (Hebron).
· The IDF distributed 12 orders for the demolition of houses and other structures in the Qalqiliya governorate. In addition, the IDF occupied five houses in the Nablus, Bethlehem and Hebron governorates.
· The IDF handed over a confiscation and closure order stating that the Islamic Charitable Society in Hebron City is an illegal organisation affiliated with Hamas and stipulating the confiscation of the contents and land of a number of establishments owned by the Society (including shops, warehouses and a school under construction) in Hebron City as well as their closure for three years to be effective on 1 April 2008.
· 23 February: The IDF issued military order number (T/183/5) for the requisition of 766 dunums of land from the towns of Dura, Adh Dhahiriya and Ar Ramadeen for the purpose of Barrier construction. 2,400 additional dunums will be isolated behind the Barrier.
· 22 curfew hours, 83 flying checkpoints, 105 IDF search operations and 121 arrests were reported.