Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
1. At its 23rd meeting, on 17 November 2006, the Fifth Committee, pursuant to rule 153 of the rules of procedure of the General Assembly, considered the statement submitted by the Secretary-General of the programme budget implications of draft resolution A/ES-10/L.19 (A/C.5/61/12). At the same meeting, the Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions orally introduced the related report of that Committee (subsequently issued as document A/61/587).
2. The statements and comments made in the course of the Fifth Committee’s consideration of this question are reflected in the relevant summary record (A/C.5/61/SR.23).
3. At the 23rd meeting, on 17 November, the Chairman of the Committee orally proposed a draft decision.
4. At the same meeting, a recorded vote was requested on the draft decision.
5. Also at the same meeting, the Committee adopted the draft decision by a recorded vote of 143 to 5, with 2 abstentions (see para. 7). The voting was as follows:
Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Somalia, South Africa, Spain, Sudan, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Syrian Arab Republic, Thailand, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Timor-Leste, Togo, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United Republic of Tanzania, Uruguay, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Viet Nam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
Australia, Israel, Micronesia (Federated States of), Palau, United States of America.
6. After the adoption of the draft resolution, statements were made by the representatives of Australia, Finland (on behalf of the States Members of the United Nations that are members of the European Union), South Africa (on behalf of the States Members of the United Nations that are members of the Group of 77 and China) and Japan (see A/C.5/61/SR.23).
Decision of the Fifth Committee
7. The Fifth Committee, having considered the statement of programme budget implications submitted by the Secretary-General (A/C.5/61/12) and the related report of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (A/61/587):
(a) Decides to inform the General Assembly that the adoption of draft resolution A/ES-10/L.19 would not give rise to any additional requirements under section 3, Political affairs, of the programme budget for the biennium 2006-2007 at the present stage;
(b) Also decides that any additional resources as may be necessary will be reported in the context of the second performance report on the programme budget for the biennium 2006-2007.