Question of Palestine home
29 June 1995
Agenda item 116 (b)
FINANCING OF THE UNITED NATIONS PEACE-KEEPING FORCES IN THE
MIDDLE EAST: UNITED NATIONS INTERIM FORCE IN LEBANON
Report of the Fifth Committee (Part II
: Mr. Larbi DJACTA (Algeria)
1. The previous recommendation made by the Fifth Committee to the General Assembly under agenda item 116 (b) entitled "Financing of the United Nations peace-keeping forces in the Middle East: United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon", appears in the report of the Committee contained in document
2. For its consideration of the item, the Committee had before it the reports of the Secretary-General (A/49/644/Add.1) and the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (
3. The Fifth Committee considered the item further at its 56th and 58th meetings, on 14 and 23 June 1995. Statements and observations made in the course of the Committee's consideration of the item are reflected in the relevant summary records (
II. CONSIDERATION OF DRAFT DECISION A/C.5/49/L.52
4. At the 58th meeting, on 23 June, the Vice-Chairman introduced a draft decision entitled "Financing of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon" (A/C.5/49/L.52).
5. At the same meeting, the Committee adopted draft decision A/C.5/49/L.52 without a vote (see para. 6).
III. RECOMMENDATION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE
6. The Fifth Committee recommends to the General Assembly the adoption of the following draft decision:
Financing of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon
The General Assembly
the report of the Secretary-General on the financing of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon
and the related report of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions,
Bearing in mind
Security Council resolution 425 (1978) of 19 March 1978, by which the Council established the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon, and the subsequent resolutions by which the Council extended the mandate of the Force, the most recent of which was resolution 974 (1995) of 30 January 1995,
its resolution S-8/2 of 21 April 1978 on the financing of the Force and its subsequent resolutions thereon, the most recent of which was resolution 49/226 of 23 December 1994,
that there shall be set off against the apportionment among Member States, in respect of such future mandate period(s) as may be approved by the Security Council, their respective share in the unencumbered balance of 1,755,000 United States dollars gross (16,000 dollars net) for the period from 1 February 1994 to 31 January 1995, inclusive.
/ A/49/785/Add.1 and Add.1/Corr.1.