Question of Palestine home
29 June 1995
Agenda item 116 (a)
FINANCING OF THE UNITED NATIONS PEACE-KEEPING FORCES IN THE
MIDDLE EAST: UNITED NATIONS DISENGAGEMENT OBSERVER FORCE
Report of the Fifth Committee
: Mr. Larbi DJACTA (Algeria)
1. The previous recommendations made by the Fifth Committee to the General Assembly under agenda item 116 (a), entitled "Financing of the United Nations peace-keeping forces in the Middle East: United Nations Disengagement Observer Force", appear in the reports of the Committee contained in documents A/49/755 and Add.1.
2. For its consideration of the item, the Committee had before it the reports of the Secretary-General (A/49/553/Add.1) and of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (A/49/785/Add.1 and Add.1/Corr.1).
3. The Committee considered the item further at its 56th and 58th meetings, on 14 and 23 June 1995. Statements and observations made in the course of the Committee's consideration of the item are reflected in the relevant summary records (A/C.5/49/SR.56 and 58).
II. CONSIDERATION OF DRAFT DECISION A/C.5/49/L.51
4. At the 58th meeting, on 23 June, the Vice-Chairman, on the basis of informal consultations, introduced a draft decision entitled "Financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force" (A/C.5/49/L.51).
5. At the same meeting, the Committee adopted draft decision A/C.5/49/L.51 without a vote (see para. 6).
III. RECOMMENDATION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE
6. The Fifth Committee recommends to the General Assembly the adoption of the following draft decision:
Financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force
The General Assembly
the report of the Secretary-General on the financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force
/ and the related report of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions,
Bearing in mind
Security Council resolution 350 (1974) of 31 May 1974, by which the Council established the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force, and the subsequent resolutions by which the Council extended the mandate of the Force, the latest of which was resolution 996 (1995) of 30 May 1995,
its resolution 3211 B (XXIX) of 29 November 1974 on the financing of the United Nations Emergency Force and the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force, and its subsequent resolutions thereon, the latest of which was resolution 49/225 of 23 December 1994,
that there shall be set off against the apportionment among Member States, in respect of such future mandate period(s) as may be approved by the Security Council, their respective share in the unencumbered balance of 805,000 United States dollars gross (891,000 dollars net) for the period from 1 December 1993 to 30 November 1994, inclusive.
/ A/49/785/Add.1 and Add.1/Corr.1.