Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
The Chief of Staff of UNTSO has submitted the following report on developments in the Israel-Lebanon sector during April 1976.
1. Activity remained at a low level during the month.
2. Israel forces personnel continued to occupy daily, during daylight hours, five positions on the Lebanese side of the armistice demarcation line (ADL) near border pillars 11 (AMR 1799-2788), 1/ l4 (AMR 1838-2740 (except on 4, 5, 7, 15 and 16 April), 18 (AMR 1880-2740) (except on 4, 5, 7 and l6 April), 19 (AMR 1907-2749) (except on 4, 5 and 16 April) and 33 (AMR 2004-2904) (except on 23 and 24 April).
3. There were l4 cases of firing across the ADL or across the line between Lebanon and Israel-occupied Syrian territory, one of which involved an exchange of fire. There were also seven crossing violations. The incidents were reported as follows:
(a) OP Lab (AMR 1643-2772), south of the village of Labouna, reported mortar and automatic-weapons fire on 8 April and a crossing violation on 13 April (maximum penetration 150 metres), all by Israel forces.
(b) OP Hin (AMR 1770-2790), east of the village of Marouahine, reported an exchange of fire on 1 April, initiated by the Israel forces and involving automatic-weapons fire by Israel forces and small-arms fire by unidentified forces east of the OP. It also reported automatic-weapons fire on 10, 11 and 13 April and mortar and rocket fire on 13 April, all by Israel forces.
(c) OP (Ras AMR 1920-2785), south-east of the village of Maroun Er Ras, reported small-arms fire on 8 April and automatic-weapons fire on 9 and 10 April, all by Israel forces.
(d) OP Khiam (AMR 2071-3025), south of the village of El Khiam, reported artillery fire on 13 April and mortar fire on 18 April, all by Israel forces.
(e) Naqpura outstation (AMR 1629-2805), on the coast near the village of Naqoura, reported that an Israel forces naval vessel penetrated Lebanese territorial waters on 1 April (maximum penetration 600 metres).
(f) UNTSO mobile patrols, while located at AMR 2117-2987, reported crossing violations by Israel forces on 9, 11 and 27 April (maximum penetration 50 metres in each instance). Other patrols while located at AMR 1795-2795 and in the vicinity of border pillar one (AMR 1603-2775) reported crossing violations by Israel forces on 20 April (maximum penetrations 600 metres and 25 metres respectively).
4. There were 20 overflights reported during the period. Overflights by Israel forces jet aircraft were reported on 1, 3 and 24 April (one each day), on 11, 13, 25, 26 and 29 April (two each day) and on l4 April (six overflights). One overflight by an unidentified jet aircraft was reported on 3 April- United Nations military observers were unable to identify the aircraft owing to high altitude.
5. The Lebanese authorities submitted two complaints during the period under review as follows:
(a) One complaint was submitted alleging that Israel forces fire had fallen on Lebanese territory in the vicinity of Meiss Ej Jabal (AMR 1991-2862) on 28 April, causing the death of one Lebanese child and damage. The complaint was not confirmed.
(b) One complaint concerned an Israel forces jet aircraft overflight on 29 April. The complaint was confirmed.
]L/ AMR - approximate map reference.