Of note this week
· An IDF solder and an armed Hamas member were killed during an IDF operation in Abbasan village southeast of Khan Younis. 14 others, including two armed Palestinians, were injured.
· Three Palestinians, including two Islamic Jihad members, in a boat off the Gaza city coast, were killed. Eight others were injured during IDF military activities in northern and southern Gaza Strip.
· 18 homemade rockets were fired from Gaza towards Israel, five of which exploded prematurely and landed in the Palestinian areas. Two rockets landed in Israel (reported in Israeli news media). 29 mortar shells were fired towards Israel, one of which landed in Gaza; seven were fired towards the IDF Kissufim military base, eight targeting the IDF troops at the Palestinian airport, and three towards Erez crossing. No damage or injuries were reported.
· 18 Palestinians were arrested during an IDF military operation in the Gaza strip. (15 were released the following day)
· During an IDF incursion in the Abbasan area east of Khan Younis, IDF bulldozers levelled and excavated approximately 20 dunums of citrus trees and partially damaged eight Palestinian houses
· An Islamic Jihad member and a female bystander were killed, and 32 others injured, during armed factional violence between Islamic Jihad and Hamas armed members in the Gaza Strip.
· A 77 year-old Palestinian patient died inside Erez Crossing on 23 Oct while waiting for passage coordination approval by the Erez crossing authority. According to Palestinian MoH and Human rights organisations, coordination arrangements were made for his transfer to an Israeli hospital for treatment on 22 Oct, but he was still denied access. In a separate incident, another Palestinian patient was denied access and his companion was arrested by Israeli security.
· 17 October: The IDF dismantled Ar Ramadin checkpoint located near the settlement of Eshkolot, south of the town of Adh Dhahiriya, (Hebron).
· 20 October: Palestinians demonstrated in the cities of Nablus, Tulkarm and Tubas against the violence that erupted in Negev/Ktziot prison.
· 22 October: Palestinian security forces prevented Hamas members from holding a night protest in the H1 area of the City of Hebron (Hebron). The demonstration was planned to protest recent clashes in Israeli prisons. PA authorities declared that the protest did not have the needed permits.
· 23 October: Negev Prison visits were rescheduled to be held on the 31st of October, rather than the 24th of October.
· During the reporting period: Palestinians in the Ramallah district started the olive harvest. Access to problematic areas (near settlements) was granted given prior coordination with the Israeli DCL. Patrols by the CA, IDF and Blue Police were conducted to provide protection for the Palestinian farmers from any expected settlers’ attacks.
· During the reporting period: Reports of checkpoints around Jerusalem continue to indicate long waiting times for Palestinians. Delays of up to 45 minutes at the Qalandiya pedestrian lane occur almost daily.