Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
1. The present report is submitted pursuant to General Assembly resolution 62/110 of 17 December 2007, the operative part of which reads as follows:
“1. Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to comply with the relevant resolutions on the occupied Syrian Golan, in particular Security Council resolution 497 (1981), in which the Council, inter alia, decided that the Israeli decision to impose its laws, jurisdiction and administration on the occupied Syrian Golan was null and void and without international legal effect and demanded that Israel, the occupying Power, rescind forthwith its decision;
“2. Also calls upon Israel to desist from changing the physical character, demographic composition, institutional structure and legal status of the occupied Syrian Golan and in particular to desist from the establishment of settlements;
“3. Determines that all legislative and administrative measures and actions taken or to be taken by Israel, the occupying Power, that purport to alter the character and legal status of the occupied Syrian Golan are null and void, constitute a flagrant violation of international law and of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949, and have no legal effect;
“4. Calls upon Israel to desist from imposing Israeli citizenship and Israeli identity cards on the Syrian citizens in the occupied Syrian Golan, and from its repressive measures against the population of the occupied Syrian Golan;
“5. Deplores the violations by Israel of the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of 12 August 1949;
“6. Calls once again upon Member States not to recognize any of the legislative or administrative measures and actions referred to above;
“7. Requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its sixty-third session on the implementation of the present resolution.”
3. No reply had been received at the time of the preparation of the present report.
4. By a note verbale dated 4 September 2008 sent to all Permanent Missions to the United Nations regarding General Assembly resolutions 62/107 and 62/110, the Secretary-General drew the attention of all Member States to paragraph 6 of resolution 62/110.
5. On 17 September 2008, the Permanent Mission of Lebanon to the United Nations replied to the note verbale informing the Secretary-General that the Government of Lebanon had contributed to the final declaration of the Organization of the Islamic Conference at its eleventh session in which the Conference condemned the continuing human rights violations of the Palestinian people by Israel, as well as in the occupied Syrian Golan.
6. On 22 September 2008, the Permanent Mission of Colombia to the United Nations replied to the note verbale informing the Secretary-General that with regard to resolution 62/110 the Government of Colombia did not recognize any of the legislative or administrative measures taken by Israel in the occupied Syrian Golan.
* The document was submitted late to conference services without the explanation required under paragraph 8 of General Assembly resolution 53/208 B, by which the Assembly decided that, if a report is submitted late, the reason should be included in a footnote to the document.