Question of Palestine home
16 January 1989
QUESTION OF PALESTINE
THE SITUATION IN THE MIDDLE EAST
REPORT OF THE SPECIAL COMMITTEE TO
INVESTIGATE ISRAELI PRACTICES
AFFECTING THE HUMAN RIGHTS OF THE
POPULATION OF THE OCCUPIED TERRITORIES
Letter dated 16 January 1989 from the Charge d'affaires a.i.
of the Permanent Observer Mission of Palestine to the United
Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
Upon instructions from the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization, which has the powers and responsibilities of the Provisional Government of the State of Palestine, we bring the following to your immediate attention.
In recent weeks the occupied Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, witnessed a very alarming escalation of oppressive measures practised by the Israeli army and the illegal Israeli settlers against the Palestinian people.
It is our belief that these measures reflect the official policy of the occupying Power.
It is worth while mentioning that the Israeli army has been using new types of bullets such as metal balls covered with a thin coating of plastic or hard rubber, which have been directed consciously by the Israeli soldiers at the head of their victims.
In the last week alone the Israeli soldiers have killed more than 10 civilians, the majority of whom are girls and boys under 17 years of age. Among them are the following names:
1. A 17-year-old boy, Marwan Madani, from Toulkaram, shot in the head.
2. A 15-year-old boy, Mohamed Yaqub Shalhub, from Nusarat Refugee Camp in Gaza, shot in the head.
3. A 12-year-old girl, Sohad Aqel, from Gaza, shot in the head with three plastic bullets.
4. A 15-year-old boy, Nabil Abu Laban, from Bethlehem, shot in the heart.
5. A 13-year-old girl, Rana Al Massri, from Nablus, shot in the head.
6. A 12-year-old girl, Hanadi Abu Sultan, from Al Shat Refugee Camp, shot in the head.
7. A 17-year-old boy, Mohamed Aboushi, from Gaza, shot dead by the soldiers.
8. A 17-year-old boy, Radwan Abu Isbieh, from Hebron, shot dead by the soldiers.
In addition to the above, reference has to be made to the following two casualties:
1. A 17-year-old boy, Marwan Mughari, from Gaza, shot in the head, and is suffering permanent brain damage.
2. A six-year-old girl, Hana Abu Ghazala, from Gaza, shot behind her eye and is listed under critical condition.
It is also known that tens of civilians injured by Israeli soldiers are currently hospitalized and are receiving medical treatment.
In general, the situation in the occupied Palestinian territory is extremely grave and calls for immediate action by the international community. In bringing the aforementioned to your attention, the Permanent Observer Mission of Palestine to the United Nations requests that appropriate measures be taken.
I should be grateful if you would arrange to have the text of this letter circulated as an official document of the General Assembly, under the items entitled "Question of Palestine", "The situation in the Middle East" and "Report of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Population of the Occupied Territories", and of the Security Council.
) Dr. M. Nasser AL-KIDWA
Alternate Permanent Observer
Charge d'affaires a.i. of Palestine
to the United Nations