Question of Palestine home
10 February 1999
COMMITTEE ON THE ELIMINATION
OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION
CONSIDERATION OF REPORTS SUBMITTED BY STATES PARTIES
UNDER ARTICLE 9 OF THE CONVENTION
Concluding observations of the Committee on the
Elimination of Racial Discrimination
1. The Committee considered the ninth to twelfth periodic reports of Jordan (
), at its 1288th and 1289th meetings, on 11 and 12 August 1998. At its 1298th meeting, on 18 August 1998, it adopted the following concluding observations.
2. The Committee welcomes the opportunity to resume the dialogue with the State party on the basis of the ninth to twelfth reports and the core document (HRI/CORE/1/Add.18/Rev.1). While the report did not follow the guidelines established by the Committee for the presentation of reports and more specific information is needed on the implementation of the Convention, the Committee expresses its appreciation for the answers provided by the delegation to the many questions asked in the course of the discussion.
Factors and difficulties impeding the implementation of the Convention
3. It is noted that the State party's difficult economic situation may affect the full implementation of the Convention in Jordan.
4. Efforts made by the State to host Palestinian refugees, and to facilitate their integration while retaining their identity, are noted with satisfaction.
5. The establishment of the national Centre for Human Rights is welcomed by the Committee.
6. It is noted with satisfaction that there are a more than proportionate number of seats in the Jordanian House of Representatives which are held by persons who are members of minorities.
Principal subjects of concern
7. Concern is expressed that, since the protections in the Penal Code are limited to groups which constitute the nation, the provisions of article 4 are not fully implemented and noncitizens may not receive the protections envisaged in article 5 (a) and (b) of the Convention.
8. With regard to article 7 of the Convention, it is regretted that little further information was provided following the eight paragraphs regarding this article in the previous report.
Suggestions and recommendations
9. The Committee recommends that the State party's next report clarify whether article 12 of the Labour Act derives from an agreement concluded between members of the League of Arab States and is applicable to all citizens of those States irrespective of their ethnic or national origin.
10. The Committee recommends that the State party present in its next report information on the number of complaints, judgements and compensation awards arising from racist acts, regardless of their nature.
11. The Committee recommends that the State party ratify the amendments to article 8, paragraph 6, of the Convention, adopted on 15 January 1992 at the Fourteenth Meeting of States Parties to the Convention.
12. The Committee recommends that the State party's next periodic report, due on 29 June 1999, be a comprehensive report, taking into account all requests for specific information listed above and all the points raised in consideration of the report.