• What issues of governance in the public sector are most problematic, and in which sectors are they most prevalent?
• To what extent do perceptions match the realities on the ground? How does WB&G compare to other countries in the actual manifestations of corrupt practices?
• What are the main weaknesses in the regulatory, policy, and legal environment, which create the scope for corrupt practices upstream?
• How effective are current anti-corruption mechanisms and institutions?
• What are the priorities for governance reform in this area?
The study aims to support PA efforts to improve governance. In particular, it will contribute to two programs in the Palestinian Reform and Development Plan (PRDP) – the Efficient and Effective Government program, and the Open and Accountable Government program. The study will have three major analytical components: 1- surveys of actual experiences with corruption in WB&G; 2- case studies of governance weaknesses and; 3- assessments of the institutional and legal environment for combating corruption. The study will be published in August 2009.