"As is" reference - not a United Nations document
Under the patronage of the Prime Minister & the Representative
Of the European Union
Launching Tempus Projects in Palestine
Dr. Nedal Jayousi announced the embark of honoring the awarded projects of Tempus Program in his 6th call for proposals under the patronage of the Prime Minister, the European Union's Head of Operations, and the Minister of Education & Higher Education. Dr. Jayyousi stated that Tempus program is the European Union's Program which supports the modernization of higher education in the countries of Palestine, Europe and Arab counties, hosted by the Ministry of Education & Higher Education. Moreover, he stated that Tempus program contributed in funding 20 educational projects with an estimated budget of more than 20 Million Euros, enhancing the Palestinian European partnerships and the neighboring countries.
Jayousi stated that the status of Tempus is distinguished this year from the other past years in winning seven projects; and for the first time, Palestine wins such a number of projects. Furthermore, Dr. Jayousi stated that Palestine is distinguished with the number of its filed projects which exceeded the projects of the neighboring countries of (Syria, Lebanon, Morocco, Jordan, Tunisia, Algeria, Libya and Israel). Thanks to the interests of the Palestinian universities in benefiting from Tempus program and the distinguished achievement of Tempus office.
His Excellency, the Minister of Education & Higher Education Dr. Ali Abu Zuhri spoke about the importance of Tempus Program and its contributions to the Palestinian universities and the private sector. He demonstrated the impact of Tempus program and its clear role in the following:
1. Promoting the reform and modernization of higher education in the partner countries.
2. Upgrading the quality of higher education and linking it to the business world and society in the partner counties.
3. Enhancing the capacities of higher education institutions in Palestine especially their capacities to cooperate on the international level and ongoing development, assisting them in opening the business world and society in order to:
Tempus contributed in:
· Supporting most of the universities and many institutions in the private sector of the West Bank and Gaza Strip financially and technically.
· Building a network of experts in the field of higher education in Palestine and enabling them to communicate with their peers in the world.
· Engaging the Palestinian scholars and connecting them with research and knowledge sources in the Arab and European world.
· Supporting the Palestinian universities through constructing laboratories, workshops, establishments, providing computerized and new programs and constructing more than 25 research and knowledge websites.
Additionally, Piccolo indicated that Tempus program has played a significant role in enhancing the education sector through developing the quality of education, opening programs of graduate studies and enhancing the educational services, as well as, building the technical, managerial and academic capacities of university staffs. Piccolo indicated that an E+ program will be initiated under the administration of the current Tempus office which received the approval of the European Union with an appropriation of 4.7 Milliard Euro for the period 20142020.
Dr. Yousef Hassouna stressed in his word regarding the awarded projects of Tempus program this year on the role of Tempus office in Palestine and its impact on increasing the number of the awarded projects. Moreover, he demonstrated the gained benefits of the Palestinian universities through their involvement in Tempus programs in the following areas: promoting communications and networking, reforming the curricula, establishing laboratories, enhancing the measurement standards and managerial procedures. He indicated that the joint projects of Tempus contributed in enhancing the network between the university and other society organizations, where the service of the Palestinian community is a common component in the mission of the Palestinian universities, the academic and professional staff of civil and governmental organizations collaborated in training the staffs and developing educational materials in order to enhance the performance of the workforce in the sensitive areas of social and economic development such as:
· E Government.
2. The contribution of Tempus program in creating new opportunities for the systems of higher education which facilitated the initiation of new academic programs and joint Palestinian European projects; where Tempus program contributed in bridging the gap between the Palestinian, Arab and European higher education systems and promoting the concept of globalization and education.
3. He also thanked the European Union for funding the Erasmus program which was approved to cover the period 2014-2020 in order to build the capacities of higher education institutions and promote the involvement of students, administrators and academic staff of universities in exchanging knowledge on the Arab and European levels.
4. He also referred to the distinguished status of Palestine this year for winning and for the first time seven funded projects of Tempus program by the European Union in its 6th call for proposals with a financial value of more than 6,005,286.48 Euros.
· Mr. Dr. Rami Al- Hamdallah / The Prime Minster
· Mr. Dr. Ali Abu Zuhri / The Minister of Education and Higher Education
· Mr. Sergio Piccolo / The European Union's Head of Operations
· Dr. Izzat Ayoub / Task Manager - Social Department
· Dr. Nedal Jayousi - The director of Tempus Office
· Mr. Dr. Ibrahim Al Masri — The President of Polytechnic University
· Mr. Dr. Taysir Abdallah / The President of Al Istiqlal University
· Mr. Dr. Khalil Al Hindi/ The President of Birzeit University
· Mr. Dr. Rifaat Rustom / The President of the University College of Applied Sciences — Gaza
· Mr. Dr. Ghassan Abu Hajleh - The President of Palestine Ahliya University
· Mr. Dr. Sari Nasibeh / The President of Al Quds University
· Mr. Dr. Kamalin Shaath / The President of the Islamic University
· Mr. Dr. Maher Al Natsheh / The Acting of An-Najah National University.
· Mr. Dr. Mahmoud Abu Moyies / The President of the Arab American University
· Mr. Dr. Marwan Orotani / The President of Kadoorie University
· Mr. Dr. Younes Amro - The President of Al Quds Open University
Followed by the distribution of the certificates of appreciation to the following:
· Dr. Ahmad Abu Hanieh