Protocol Concerning Israeli-Palestinian Cooperation Programs
1. The two sides are determined to establish dialogue and cooperation on the bases of equality, fairness and reciprocity within the context of the interim period, and to act together in order to ensure that peace, stability and cooperation between them are reinforced and sustained.
In striving to live in peaceful coexistence, the two sides will seek to design and implement various programs which will facilitate the efforts leading to full reconciliation based on the agreed political process, and make it possible for smooth implementation of a permanent settlement based on Security Council Resolutions 242 and 338.
2. To that end, the two sides agree to establish and maintain between them an extensive program of cooperation in fields of human activity including in economic, scientific, social and cultural fields, involving officials, institutions, and the private sector.
3. The two sides will act to meet common challenges which require a coordinated overall approach and, taking into account their respective distinguishing features, they will act with respect for the values and human dignity of the other side.
4. The two sides are committed to strengthening regional cooperation which takes into account the interests of each side, in particular within the framework of the multilateral Middle East peace talks.
The scope of cooperation between the two sides, as detailed in this Annex, will include, inter alia, the following main aspects:
1. A Standing Cooperation Committee is hereby established (hereinafter "the SCC").
2. a. The SCC shall be composed of an equal number of members from each side and may be assisted in its meetings by experts and technicians as necessary.
b. The SCC shall adopt its rules of procedure. It shall meet once a month. Meetings may be held more frequently at the request of either side.
c. The SCC shall reach its decisions by agreement.
d. The SCC may set up working groups or bodies for the implementation of this Annex.
3. The SCC shall deal with the matters covered in this Annex. It shall consider and decide on the methods and modalities for the implementation of the various fields of cooperation as detailed in Article IX. It may decide to add new fields of cooperation.
Principles of Economic Cooperation
1. The two sides recognize the importance of economic growth, especially on the Palestinian side and cooperation based on the principles of equity, fairness, and reciprocity as a key factor in the context of building peace and reconciliation.
2. To this end, the two sides shall promote economic cooperation, including the promotion of joint ventures for their mutual benefit, in accordance with the overall objectives and principles set out in this Annex. This endeavor shall be pursued without derogating from the provisions of Annex III of the Declaration of Principles, Annex V of this Agreement (Protocol on Economic Matters), and any subsequent agreement or understanding reached between them during the interim period.
3. In implementing the various economic cooperation programs, the two sides will ensure that aspects of environmental protection including air, water, marine and land resources, and prevention of environmental risks, hazards and nuisances will be taken into consideration.
4. Without derogating from the existing agreements between them, economic cooperation between the two sides shall focus principally on sectors producing balanced economic, social, and human development and growth. The cooperation aims, among other things, at:
6. Economic cooperation between the two sides shall take into account changes in economic policies in various economic spheres.
Sectors of Economic Cooperation
1. Industrial Cooperation
The two sides shall promote industrial cooperation, and, in particular.
The two sides recognize the importance of promoting cooperation in the field of agriculture, and shall in particular:
b. Cooperation in the protection of the environment will focus, inter alia, on preparing proposals for projects, studies, and recommendations on:
d. Both sides shall cooperate in setting an emergency warning system to respond to events or accidents which may generate environmental pollution, damage, or hazards.
e. The Environmental Experts Committee established under this Agreement will implement the environmental cooperation proposed above in coordination with the SCC.
The two sides shall promote cooperation between them in order to:
d. The two sides shall also encourage the development of cooperation programs between their competent organizations in this field.
The two sides shall promote cooperation in scientific research and technological development, and shall devote special attention to the following:
1. Cultural Cooperation
The two sides shall promote cultural cooperation and encourage the development of cooperation between their institutions or organizations in the fields of art, music, theater, literature, literary translations, publishing, cinema and film-making.
2. Media and Communication
The two sides shall promote and encourage direct cooperation between news agencies, newspapers, and radio and television stations. In addition, the two sides will cooperate with third countries in order to promote the exposure of the benefits of the peace process to the respective societies.
3. Educational Cooperation
b. The two sides shall cooperate with the aim of raising the level of general education and professional training of their respective populations taking into consideration priorities to be determined by each side.
c. The cooperation shall focus, in particular, on the following areas:
b. The two sides shall encourage contacts and exchanges between youth organizations and shall promote exchanges of high school and university students.
1. The two sides shall cooperate in enhancing the dialogue and relations between their peoples in accordance with the concepts developed in cooperation with the Kingdom of Norway.
2. The two sides shall cooperate in enhancing dialogue and relations between their peoples, as well as in gaining a wider exposure of the two publics to the peace process, its current situation and predicted results.
3. The two sides shall take steps to foster public debate and involvement, to remove barriers to interaction, and to increase the people to people exchange and interaction within all areas of cooperation described in this Annex and in accordance with the overall objectives and principles set out in this Annex.
1. In addition to the cooperation provided for in Article II of Annex IV of this Agreement concerning legal assistance in criminal matters, the two sides shall cooperate with a view to, inter alia:
b. encouraging a joint approach to reducing demand; and
c. encouraging a joint approach to prevent the use of the Two sides' financial systems to launder capital arising from criminal activities in general and drug trafficking in particular.
Methods and Modalities of Cooperation
1. The SCC shall determine methods and modalities for the implementation of cooperation between the two sides.
2. Cooperation shall be implemented in particular by:
4. Other fields of cooperation may be agreed upon by the two sides.
Nothing in this Annex shall derogate from the provisions set out in any other part of this Agreement.