Protection of Civilians Weekly Report
16 – 22 April 2008
· The IDF killed 37 Palestinians, of whom at least 16 were unarmed civilians (including 11 children), and injured 51 others (including 15 children). A Reuters cameraman was killed
when flachette rounds fired by Israeli security forces struck a Reuters press vehicle.
· Three IDF soldiers were killed and 16 were injured in the Gaza Strip. Of those injured, 13 were injured in a Palestinian suicide attack at Kerem Shalom crossing.
· The IDF uprooted 200 dunums of olive trees northeast of Al Bureij Camp.
· On five occasions, IDF patrol boats opened fire at Palestinian fishing boats at sea. These attacks coincide with the start of the sardine fishing season which will last until mid-June.
· Basic functions of daily life continue to be severely affected by the fuel crisis, including drinking water delivery, sewage water disposal, garbage collection, services provided by the health and education sectors and transportation, among others.
· A total of 65 rudimentary rockets and 51 mortars were fired towards Israel. As a result, a four-year-old Israeli boy was injured by a rocket that landed in the Western Negev.
· One hundred and eighty-four (184) mortars were fired at IDF soldiers inside the Gaza Strip, the highest ever recorded weekly total of mortars fired inside Gaza.
· More than 2200 people (primarily women) participated in eight demonstrations to protest against the blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip. Two rallies were held to commemorate Palestinian Prisoners’ Day and one demonstration to protest against the killing of Reuters’ cameraman Fadel Sha’na.
· The IDF killed three Palestinians and injured 11 others. Israeli settlers also injured one Palestinian in the H2 area of Hebron City.
· 18 - 22 April: The IDF imposed a general closure on the West Bank due to the Jewish Passover holiday; the IDF prevented Palestinians holding valid permits from reaching East Jerusalem and Israel, except for Palestinians working with international organisations and emergency medical cases.
· Israeli settlers uprooted 200 olive trees on land belonging to residents of Deir Istiya (Salfit).
· 20 April: A group of Israeli settlers physically attacked and pointed guns at a Palestinian family preparing a barbeque party near Al ’Auja. The IDF arrived at the scene and demanded that the Palestinian family leave the area (Jericho).
· 21-22 April: The IDF increased its presence in the H2 area of Hebron City due to the influx of a large number of Israelis celebrating Passover; the IDF took control of and set observation posts at the rooftops of nine houses around the Old City and one house in the H1 area that overlooks Road 35.
· 79 IDF flying checkpoints, 118 IDF search and arrests operations and 99 arrests/detentions of Palestinians were reported.