• More than 3 in 10 patients denied/delayed Gaza exit: Of 2,040 patient permit applications to exit Gaza through Erez checkpoint for hospital appointments in July, 67.5% were approved. 190 patients (9.5%) were denied, including 8 children and 14 elderly persons over 60 years. 473 patients (23%) received no response, including 138 children and 57 elderly people over 60 (Palestinian District Liaison office in Gaza).
• More than 4 in 10 patients' companions denied/delayed: The approval rate for patient companions' permit applications was 57.5%, but 10.5% were denied and the remaining 32% were pending.
• Security interrogations: 20 patients, among them 4 females, were requested for General Security Services interviews at Erez during July. Three were approved and three were denied permits.
• 3 of 17 requestes approved for humanitarian health workers through Erez.
• Border open briefly: According to Palestinian officials at Rafah terminal, the Rafah border terminal was open for 3 days during the July allowing 79 people to travel for health reasons to Egypt including 28 patients transferred by ambulance. No medical delegates or medical aid entered Gaza through Egypt during the month.
Ministry of Health Referrals in July
• Ministry of Health referred 1,881 patients in July to outside care with an estimated cost of NIS 9,227,765. Referrals to Gaza non-MoH facilities sharply declined in the last 4 months. The top 5 needed procedures for Gaza patients were in oncology, paediatrics, orthopaedics, hematology and ophthalmology.