Question of Palestine home
"As is" reference - not a United Nations document
European Union (EU)
29 March 2002
The European Union, in the light of the events which are taking place in the Palestinian territories, issues the following Declaration:
1. The European Union condemns in the most categorical terms the terrorist attack perpetrated this morning and reiterates its demand to the Palestinian Authority and to its Chairman, Mr. Arafat, so that they adopt all the possible measures to stop the spiral of violence and to avoid that initiators and perpetrators of the attacks of recent days remain unpunished.
2. The legitimate fight of Israel against terrorism and the reaction to the brutal attacks have to be compatible with an effective operationality of the Palestinian Authority and of its Chairman, legitimate representatives of the Palestinian people.
3. Therefore the European Union urges for an end to the attack against the Headquarters of the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah and calls for the immediate withdrawal of the Israeli Defence Forces from that city.
4. The European Union reiterates the need for an immediate application of a ceasefire taking only into account the conditions already envisaged in the Tenet Plan and those expressed by the United States special envoy, Mr. Zinni, which should be the basis of an agreement without delay between the parties.
5. The resolution of the Arab League meeting in Beirut is a solid basis in order to progress towards a political perspective for a fair and global peace in the region, and the establishment of normal relations between Israel and the Arab world, safeguarding the security of all countries involved and offering them a future of stability and prosperity.