Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
The Chief of Staff of UNTSO has submitted the following report on developments in the Israel-Lebanon sector during January 1976.
1. Activity remained at a relatively low level throughout the whole month.
2. Israel forces personnel continued to occupy daily, during daylight hours, five positions on the Lebanese side of the armistice demarcation line (ADL) near border pillars 1/ (AMR 1799-2788), l4 (AMR 1838-2740 (except on 4-6, 8, 10, 12, 26-28 and 30 January), 18 (AMR 1880-2740) (except on 3-7 and 12 January), 19 (AMR 1907-2749) (except on 5 and 12 January) and 33 (AMR 2004-2904) (except on 4 and 19 January).
3. There were 56 cases of firing across the ADL or across the line between Lebanese territory and Israel-occupied territory and three crossing violations. The incidents were reported as follows:
(a) OP Lab (AMR 1643-2772), south of the village of Labouna, reported small-arms fire on 1, 2, 4, 9-11, 13 and 22 January, automatic weapons fire on 2, 4, 9-11, 13, l4, 19 and 25 January, flares on 19 January and mortar and artillery fire on 25 January, all by Israel forces.
(b) OP Hin (AMR 1770-2790), east of the village of Marouahine, reported automatic weapons fire by Israel forces on 1-3, 7, 8, 10, 13, 15, 16 and 19-21 January.
(c) OP Ras (AMR 1920-2735), south-east of the village of Maroun Er Ras, reported mortar fire by Israel forces on 12 January.
(d) OP Mar (AMR 1998-2921), south-east of the village of Markaba reported flares on 1 January, mortar fire on 2, 7, 9, 10, 16, 17, 20 and 24 January, small-arms fire on 9 January and automatic weapons fire on 13 January, all by Israel forces. It also reported crossing violations by Israel forces on 8 and 9 January (maximum penetration 100 metres in each instance).
(e) OP Khiam (AMR 2071-3025), south of the village of El Khiam, reported artillery fire by Israel forces on 2, 7 and 9 January and by unidentified forces east of the OP on 20 January. It also reported a crossing violation by Israel forces on 18 January (maximum penetration 1,000 metres).
4. There were 17 overflights reported during the period. Overflights by Israel forces jet aircraft were reported on 14 6, 10 and 25 Jenuery (two each day), on 13, 15 and 20 January (one each day) and on 14 and 22 January (three each day).
5. The Lebanese authorities submitted 40 complaints during the period under review as follows:
(a) Twenty -three complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces fire had fallen on Lebanese territory on 31 December, 1-3, 5-10, 12, 13, 16, 19, 20, 22-24 and 30 January (one complaint each day) and on 4 and 17 January (two complaints each day). Six of these complaints were confirmed by United Nations observation., except for damage.
(b) Twelve complaints concerned Israel forces jet aircraft overflights on 1, 6, 10, 13, 15, 20, 22, 25, 27 and 28 January (one complaint each day) and on 14 January (two complaints). Nine of these complaints were confirmed.
(c) One complaint was submitted alleging that an Israel forces naval vessel penetrated Lebanese territorial waters on 1 January. The complaint was not confirmed.
(d) Two complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces patrols penetrated Lebanese territory in the vicinity of Aadeisse (AMR 2011-2955) on 26 and 28 January: it was also alleged that during the penetration on 26 January two Lebanese citizens were abducted. The complaints were not confirmed.
(e) One complaint was submitted alleging that Israel forces penetrated Lebanese territory with a bulldozer and mechanized escort in the vicinity of border pillar 19 on 30 January. The complaint was not confirmed.
(f) In addition, one complaint was submitted with a request that an inquiry into it be conducted by United Nations military observers (see para. 6 below).
6. The complaint referred to in paragraph 5 (f) alleged that on 22 January at 2320 hours GMT an Israel forces patrol penetrated Lebanese territory in the vicinity of Mazraat Ez Zalloutiye (AMR 1734- 2795) and dynamited two houses causing damage to one automobile and other material damage. The inquiry took place on 23 January. The complaint was confirmed in so far as destruction of two houses, damage to one automobile and other material damage were concerned.
1/ AMR - approximate map reference.