Question of Palestine home
26 October 1990
Agenda item 3
CREDENTIALS OF REPRESENTATIVES TO THE FORTY-FIFTH SESSION
OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Letter dated 26 October 1990 from the representatives of Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, Burkina Faso, the Comoros, Djibouti, the Gambia, Indonesia, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Malaysia, Mauritania, Morocco, the Niger, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Somalia, the Sudan, the Syrian Arab Republic, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen and the Permanent Observer of Palestine to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
We, the undersigned, in our capacity as representatives of our Governments and on their behalf, have the honor to bring to your attention the reservations of our Governments, peoples and countries concerning the credentials of the Israeli delegation to the forty-fifth session of the General Assembly.
1. We wish to underline Israel's continued defiance, and flagrant and persistent violation of the Charter of the United Nations and the principles of international law as well as its contempt for and its consistent violation of the resolutions of the United Nations relating to the question of Palestine and the situation in the Middle East.
2. Israel remains defiant in its refusal to implement resolutions of the Security Council and the General Assembly concerning the status of Jerusalem which
it has illegally annexed in the aftermath of its illegal occupation and declared as its capital. Furthermore, as evidence of its continued contempt for the United Nations resolutions, it has once again submitted its credentials, issued in the City of Jerusalem, thus flouting relevant General Assembly resolutions, in particular resolution 35/169 E of 15 December 1980, which,
, determined that all legislative and administrative measures and actions taken by Israel, the occupying Power, which had altered or purport to alter the character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and, in particular, the "Basic Law" on Jerusalem and the proclamation of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, are null and void and must be rescinded forthwith, and urged all States, specialized agencies and other international organizations not to conduct any business which is not in conformit
with the provisions contained therein.
3. Israel has refused to implement the relevant resolutions of the Security Council and the General Assembly calling upon it to annul forthwith its decision 14 December 1981 to impose its laws, jurisdiction and administration on the Syria Arab Golan.
4. Israel continues to occupy parts of south Lebanon and refuses to implement Security Council resolution 425 (1978).
Israel has continued systematically to refuse the implementation of the resolutions of the United Nations relating to the inalienable rights of the Palestinian people to self-determination and to the establishment of their own independent State in Palestine, and has continued its illegal occupation of the Palestinian territory, including the Holy City of Jerusalem. The brutal and inhuman policies and practices of Israel in its efforts to suppress the national unarmed uprising (
) of the Palestinian people in the occupied territory against Israeli occupation, which have resulted in the murder of hundreds of Palestinians, injuries to many more, mass detentions, deportations, blowing up of Palestinian houses, and economic blockade are further testimony of the Israeli determination to maintain its occupation through terror and have fully exposed it designs.
6. Israel continues to reject the relevant resolutions of the Security Council and the General Assembly declaring illegal its policy of establishing settlements which constitutes an obstacle to peace and uses this policy to consolidate its control over the occupied Arab and Palestinian territories, to alter their geographical, demographic, cultural and social character and to create a situatio
as attested to by its oppressive policies and practices, culminating in the imposition of emergency laws, with the objective of the application of administrative-detention and deportation, and to forcibly uproot a displace the legitimate inhabitants of the occupied Palestinian territory. This policy contravenes the spirit and the letter of the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949 to which Israel is a party.
7. Israel systematically resorts to intimidation and the use of force in the na
of pre-emptive action, hot pursuit and security, and to biblical and other fallacious arguments to extend its supremacy over the neighboring Arab countries
8. The General Assembly has already stated in its resolution ES-9/1 of 5 February 1982 that the measures taken in the past by Israel and its actions confirm that it is not a peace-loving State and that it has not fulfilled its obligations under the Charter, nor its commitments under General Assembly resolution 273 (111) of 11 May 1949.
The undersigned reserve the right to raise this question at the appropriate time and request you to circulate the present letter as an official document of th
General Assembly under agenda item 3.
Signed by the following
Iran (Islamic Republic of)
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya
Syrian Arab Republic
United Arab Emirates
Permanent Observer of Palestine