Question of Palestine home
4 August 2000
Item 86 of the provisional agenda*
Report of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices
Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other
Arabs of the Occupied Territories
Report of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights
of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied territories
Report of the Secretary-General
1. The present report is submitted in pursuance of General Assembly resolution 54/76 of 6 December 1999. Paragraph 8 of the resolution reads as follows:
The General Assembly
“(a) To provide the Special Committee with all necessary facilities, including those required for its visits to the occupied territories, so that it may investigate the Israeli policies and practices referred to in the present resolution;
“(b) To continue to make available such additional staff as may be necessary to assist the Special Committee in the performance of its tasks;
“(c) To circulate regularly to Member States the periodic reports mentioned in paragraph 6 above;
“(d) To ensure the widest circulation of the reports of the Special Committee and of information regarding its activities and findings, by all means available, through the Department of Public Information of the Secretariat and, where necessary, to reprint those reports of the Special Committee that are no longer available;
“(e) To report to the General Assembly at its fifty-fifth session on the tasks entrusted to him in the present resolution”.
2. All necessary facilities were provided to the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Palestinian People and Other Arabs of the Occupied Territories. Arrangements were made for it to meet in March, May and August 2000. Furthermore, the Special Committee carried out a field mission to Egypt, Jordan and the Syrian Arab Republic in May 2000. Two periodic reports and the thirty-second report of the Special Committee will be circulated to Member States.
3. Pursuant to paragraph 8 (d) of resolution 54/76, the Department of Public Information undertook the following activities:
(a) The Department continued, in cooperation with the United Nations Information Service Geneva, to provide press coverage of the meetings of the Special Committee. Comprehensive audio-visual and press coverage was also provided for the 2000 session of the Commission on Human Rights;
(b) The Department continued to disseminate information on all the activities of the Special Committee, including documents, press releases, contacts with journalists and relevant reports on the work carried out by the Special Committee and the Commission on Human Rights through United Nations Information Services, information centres and other United Nations offices in the field. The Department’s multimedia approach ensured effective coverage of the Special Committee and human rights activities, as well as the distribution of relevant information material throughout the world;
(c) In addition, the Department, through its Information Service in Geneva, provided print, radio and television coverage, organized press briefings and briefings for the public;
(d) The Department, through its information centres, also provided support to the Special Committee’s field mission to Egypt, Jordan and the Syrian Arab Republic during the period from 18 to 31 May 2000.
4. It should be noted that, on 14 July 2000, the Secretary-General addressed a note verbale to all States drawing attention to General Assembly resolutions 54/76, 54/77, 54/78, 54/79 and 54/80.
* A/55/150 and Corr.1 and 2.
** In accordance with General Assembly resolution 54/248, sect. C, para. 1, this report is being submitted on 4 August 2000 so as to include as much updated information as possible.