Question of Palestine home
"As is" reference - not a United Nations document
Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC)
21 June 2007
Committee on Palestine of the OIC Discusses the Latest Developments in the Palestinian Territories
A permanent representatives–level meeting of the Committee on Palestine, comprising Pakistan, Malaysia and Palestine, with the participation of the representative of Morocco in its capacity as chair of Al Quds Committee, was held on 20 June 2007 at the OIC General Secretariat in Jeddah, under the chairmanship of the Secretary-General of the Organization of the Islamic Conference.
The committee emphasized the following articles:
1. Condemnation of all criminal acts recently perpetrated in the Gaza Strip and demand for the return of the situation in Gaza to what it was before the events, the preservation of the territorial and national unity of Palestine, and the channeling of Palestinian energy towards the realization of the Palestinian national dream.
2. Respect for Palestinian legitimacy under the leadership of President Mahmoud Abbas, Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization and President of the Palestinian National Authority and for Palestinian institutions derived from the Palestinian National Authority, and the Palestinian constitution.
3. Urge the Palestinian emergency government to overcome the repercussions of the recent events, and urge all Palestinian factions to assist this government to restore normalcy in accordance with the constitution.
4. Reiteration of all resolutions adopted by the Organization of the Islamic Conference on breaking the siege that has been imposed on the Palestinian people for more than a year, which has been the cause of the increased suffering of the Palestinian people. In this regard, it welcomes the resumption of aids from the international community.
5. Commitment to the Islamic position on the Arab-Israeli conflict whereby Islamic States support the Arab peace initiative based on the ending of the occupation of Palestinian territories, the establishment of an independent Palestinian State whose capital will be Al Quds Al Shareef, and the settlement of the issue of refugees on the basis of UN Resolution 194.
6. Holding Israel, the occupying force in the Palestinian territories, responsible for the deterioration in the situation an demanding it to end its hostile practices of killing, assassination, arrest, confiscation of territories, continuation of settlement expansion, construction of racial segregation wall and aggression against Islamic and Christian holy places.
7. Call on Member States to speedily provide more material and moral supports to the Palestinian National Authority to enable it to discharge its duties.
8. Support for all efforts deployed by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Arab Republic of Egypt to bring about national reconciliation in Palestine.
9. Appreciates the efforts of the OIC Secretary General and calls upon him to continue these efforts to support the Palestinian cause in international fora.
Jeddah, 21 June 2007