Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
SUMMARY RECORD OF THE 14th MEETING
Held at the Palais des Nations, Geneva,
on Monday, 22 March 2004, at 10 a.m.
Chairperson : Mr. SMITH (Australia)
6. Ms. MASSAGEE (Al-Haq) said that the United Nations had adopted scores of resolutions over the past five decades upholding the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination and urging Israel to withdraw from territories unlawfully acquired or occupied by force and to implement Palestinian refugees’ right of return and right to compensation. It was clear from the realities on the ground that Israel had rejected those obligations. Over 400,000 Israeli settlers were illegally living in the Occupied Palestinian Territory and Israel had recently begun construction of a wall which, if completed in accordance with existing plans, would annex over 40 per cent of the West Bank.
7. Thousands of Palestinian and hundreds of Israeli lives had been lost since September 2000 in a seemingly endless cycle of violence. The Palestinian people wanted to live a normal, peaceful life but were unable to do so while being denied the fundamental right of self-determination. She called on the international community to honour its repeated commitments regarding recognition of that right, so that a just and lasting solution to the conflict could be reached and Palestinians and Israelis could live in peace.
26. Ms. AMADOR (Federación de Mujeres Cubanas) ...
27. Cuban women empathized with the mothers of Palestinian children killed by Israeli violence.
29. Ms. AGUILA (Women’s International Democratic Federation) ...
30. Her organization supported demands for the creation of an independent and sovereign Palestinian State with East Jerusalem as its capital and denounced the crimes of Ariel Sharon.