Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
The Chief of Staff of UNTSO has submitted the following special report on developments in the Israel-Lebanon sector on 4 August 1975.
1. A complaint was received from the Lebanese authorities alleging that on the evening of 4 August Israel forces artillery fire fell in the vicinity of Sour (AMR 1690-2970), 1/ causing, in Sour army barracks, the death of four Lebanese army officers and the wounding of a fifth, as well as material damage.
2. At the request of the Lebanese authorities, the Chief of Staff of UNTSO authorized an inquiry, which took place on 5 August. Accompanied by a representative of the Senior Lebanese Delegate to the Israel-Lebanon Mixed Armistice Commission, United Nations military observers interviewed witnesses and examined the evidence presented to them.
3. Witnesses at Sour barracks stated that at 2250 hours GMT on 4 August they heard a loud explosion in the operations room at the barracks and found there four Lebanese army lieutenants dead and a fifth wounded. They also stated that the dead and wounded had been evacuated to a military hospital in Beirut.
4. The military observers saw, at Sour barracks, the operations room and three adjoining rooms which had been destroyed by a recent explosion. They also saw bloodstains in the vicinity of the operations room and found artillery shell fragments.
5. Based on the results of the inquiry, the complaint is confirmed in so far as material damage at Sour barracks from recent artillery shelling is concerned.
1/ AMR - approximate map reference.