Question of Palestine home
22 December 1993
Agenda item 130 (b)
FINANCING OF THE UNITED NATIONS PEACE-KEEPING FORCES IN THE
MIDDLE EAST: UNITED NATIONS INTERIM FORCE IN LEBANON
Report of the Fifth Committee
: Mr. Mahbub KABIR (Bangladesh)
1. At its 3rd plenary meeting, on 24 September 1993, the General Assembly, on the recommendation of the General Committee, decided to include in the agenda of its forty-eighth session, and to allocate to the Fifth Committee, the item entitled "Financing of the United Nations peace-keeping forces in the Middle East: (a) United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon".
2. At its 44th and 46th meetings, on 19 and 22 December 1993, the Fifth Committee considered the report of the Secretary-General on the financing of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (A/C.5/48/40) and the related report of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (
II. CONSIDERATION OF DRAFT DECISION A/C.5/48/L.16
3. At its 46th meeting on 22 December 1993, the representative of Japan introduced and orally revised draft decision A/C.5/48/L.16 as follows:
(a) In paragraph (b), the words "to apportion the amount indicated in paragraph (a) above" were replaced with the words "to apportion at this time the amount of 22,876,000 dollars gross (22,400,000 dollars net)";
(b) In paragraph (c), the words "500,000 dollars" were replaced with the words "476,600 dollars".
4. At the same meeting, the Committee adopted the draft decision as orally revised without a vote (see para. 6).
5. Statements and observations made in the course of the Committee's consideration of this item are reflected in the relevant summary records (A/C.5/48/SR.44 and 46).
III. RECOMMENDATION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE
6. The Fifth Committee recommends to the General Assembly the adoption of the following draft decision:
Financing of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon
The General Assembly
In accordance with the framework set out in General Assembly resolution 48/___ of __ December 1993,*
the report of the Secretary-General on the financing of seventeen peace-keeping operations
/ and the related reports of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions
/ and concurring with the observations of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions,
, on an exceptional basis, to authorize the Secretary-General to enter into commitments up to the amount of 24,000,000 United States dollars gross (23,500,000 dollars net) for the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon for the period from 1 February to 31 March 1994, should the Security Council decide to extend the Force beyond 31 January 1994;
, as an ad hoc arrangement, to apportion at this time the amount of 22,876,000 dollars gross (22,400,000 dollars net) among Member States in accordance with the composition of groups set out in paragraphs 3 and 4 of General Assembly resolution 43/232 of 1 March 1989, as adjusted by the Assembly in its resolutions 44/192 B of 21 December 1989, 45/269 of 27 August 1991, 46/198 A of 20 December 1991, 47/218 A of 23 December 1992 and 48/___ of __ December 1993,** and taking into account the scale of assessments for the years 1992, 1993 and 1994 as set out in General Assembly resolution 46/221 A of 20 December 1991, and General Assembly decisions 47/456 of 23 December 1992 and 48/___ of __ December 1993;***
that, in accordance with the provisions of its resolution 973 (X) of 15 December 1955, there shall be set off against the apportionment among Member States, as provided for in paragraph (b) above, their respective share in the Tax Equalization Fund of the additional estimated staff assessment income of 476,600 dollars for the period from 1 February to 31 March 1994.
* Resolution to be adopted on agenda item 138.
** Resolution to be adopted on agenda item 127.
*** Decision to be taken on agenda item 138 (placement of Member States).
/ A/48/770 and A/48/778.