OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN TERRITORY
Assessments and events:
• Starting on 26 November, a ceasefire has been agreed upon for the Gaza Strip. Both Israeli and Palestinian officials have said they would like to extend the ceasefire to the West Bank.
• The general strike of Palestinian Authority (PA) employees continued throughout October in protest against the non-payment of salaries. The strike negatively affects medical facilities and other services, particularly in the West Bank.
• On 21 November WHO visited Al Ahli Hospital, the main NGO hospital in Hebron as well as MoH and NGOs health facilities in Tulkarem to assess the impact of the strike.
• WHO and WFP discussed coordination on food security management and food vulnerability system and areas of collaboration, especially in the area of household nutrition surveys.
• WHO met with ECHO to discuss the implementation of the nutrition project "Strengthening Nutrition Surveillance System in the oPt” funded by ECHO.
• On Thursday, 23rd of November, the WHO representative met with the representative of Finland to review the health situation and the Finnish support to the health sector through the CAP.
• WHO’s 2006 emergency activities are funded by the Organization’s Regular Budget and contributions from ECHO, Finland, Japan and Norway.