"As is" reference - not a United Nations document
2. The aim of this assistance is to stabilize civilian life in the areas including the Gaza Strip after Israel's withdrawal that started on August 15. Japan's assistance will be extended for the following projects:
(1) Rehabilitating the Salah-Addin regional road in the Gaza Strip
(2) Constructing a waste water treatment plant and associated main pressure lines in Khan Younis City
(3) Re-housing non-refugee families in the Gaza Strip
(4) Expanding water distribution networks in the northern part of the West Bank (Jenin and Tulkarm Governorates)
(5) Constructing a court house in the Jenin Governorate
The UNDP will implement the above five projects, totaling about 44.2 million dollars.
(6) Rehabilitation of Palestine refugees' shelters in the Gaza Strip
The UNRWA will implement this project, totaling 5.5 million dollars.
It is expected that through these projects, jobs will be created for about 1,670 Palestinian workers per day and help ease the serious unemployment problem in these areas.
3. At a time when there is a positive movement for progress in the Middle East peace process, Japan hopes that the assistance will contribute to improving the living condition of the Palestinian people, who are facing economic hardship, and to furthering the efforts of the Abbas government for the peace process. Japan also intends to continue assistance to the Palestinians and support efforts of the parties concerned to solve the Palestinian issue, which is the key to achieving peace in the Middle East.