Question of Palestine home
Colonies - Lettre de Jordanie
3 May 1982
Item 61 of the preliminary list*
REPORT OF THE SPECIAL COMMITTEE TO INVESTIGATE
ISRAELI PRACTICES AFFECTING THE HUMAN RIGHTS
OF THE POPULATION OF THE OCCUPIED TERRITORIES
Letter dated 29 April 1982 from the Permanent Representative of
Jordan to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
I have the honour to convey to you the latest Israeli acts of confiscations, colonization and annexation of Palestinian lands in the occupied West Bank of Jordan and Jerusalem during the month of March 1982.
This catalogue of land confiscations is an ongoing and relentless process of devouring the remnants of the occupied territories as a prelude to their annexation and expulsion of their inhabitants in which the Jordan Government views these acts of plunder and despoilation with deepest concern. It is a total proof that the occupation authorities' objective is the total seizure and annexation of the occupied territories, which is a violation of the fourth Geneva Convention of 1949
, and international law,
I request that the enclosed information in Arabic be circulated as an official document of the General Assembly, under item 61 of the preliminary list, and of the Security Council.
(Signed) Hazem NUSEIBEH
1/ United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 75, No. 973, p. 287.
Israeli settlement during March 1982
During March 1982, the occupation authorities confiscated the following areas of West Bank lands for settlement purposes:
1. 200 dunums of the lands of the village of Qatnah in the Ramallah district, confiscated on 22 March 1982;
2. 4,000 dunums of the lands of the village of Nahhalin in the Bethlehem district, confiscated on 19 March 1982;
3. 3,000 dunums of the lands of the village of Burin in the Nablus district, confiscated on 15 March 1982;
4. 20,000 dunums of the lands of the village of Surif in the Hebron district, confiscated on 16 March 1982;
5. 25 dunums of
lands in the Tulkarm region, confiscated on 10 March 1982 for the establishment there of a factory owned by an Israeli
Settlement news received this month includes the following:
1. Israeli sources reported that the Ministry of the Interior will shortly announce the establishment o:E a local council called "Mount Hebron" and uniting the settlements of Yattir, Karmi'el Ma'on Luzbir and Nahal Zohar.
2. Official Israeli sources stated that the Israeli army recently took over 40 sites in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip with a view to the establishment of settlements having a combined civilian and military character.
3. On 30 March 1982, the construction of the first hotel for Israeli settlers was completed. The hotel is called "Ashkalot" in the settlement of Kiryat.
4. The Israeli Minister of Defence submitted a proposal to his Government calling for the settlers in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip to be regarded as army reserve when bearing arms, for the purpose of self-defence only.
5. The Israeli Deputy Minister of Agriculture, Mikha'il Dekel, said that the number of Jews in the west Bank will rise to 100,000 over the next four years.
6. Work is now under way to expand the settlement of Alve Munashi near Qalqilya, to accommodate approximately 1,800 new families.