Question of Palestine home
11 December 1996
Agenda item 123 (a)
FINANCING OF THE UNITED NATIONS PEACEKEEPING FORCES IN THE
MIDDLE EAST: UNITED NATIONS DISENGAGEMENT OBSERVER FORCE
Report of the Fifth Committee
: Mr. Igor V. GOUMENNY (Ukraine)
1. At its 3rd plenary meeting, on 20 September 1996, the General Assembly, on the recommendation of the General Committee, decided to include in the agenda of its fifty-first session the item entitled "Financing of the United Nations peacekeeping forces in the Middle East: United Nations Disengagement Observer Force" and to allocate it to the Fifth Committee.
2. For its consideration of the item, the Committee had before it the reports of the Secretary-General (A/51/405) and the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (A/51/684).
3. The Committee considered the item at its 35th and 39th meetings, on 2 and 11 December 1996. Statements and observations made in the course of the Committee's consideration of the item are reflected in the relevant summary records (A/C.5/51/SR.35 and
II. CONSIDERATION OF DRAFT DECISION A/C.5/51/L.14
4. At the 39th meeting, on 11 December, the representative of Latvia introduced a draft decision entitled "Financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force" (A/C.5/51/L.14), submitted by the Chairman on the basis of informal consultations.
5. At the same meeting, the Committee adopted draft decision A/C.5/51/L.14 without a vote (see para. 6).
III. RECOMMENDATION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE
6. The Fifth Committee recommends to the General Assembly the adoption of the following draft decision:
Financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force
The General Assembly, having considered the report of the Secretary-General on the financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force,
and the related report of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions:
(a) Decides that, for Member States that have fulfilled their financial obligations to the Force, there shall be set off against their future apportionments their respective share in the unencumbered balance of 1,202,700 United States dollars gross (973,100 dollars net) for the period from 1 December 1994 to 30 November 1995;
(b) Also decides that, for Member States that have not fulfilled their financial obligations to the Force, their share of the unencumbered balance of 1,202,700 dollars gross (973,100 dollars net) for the period from 1 December 1994 to 30 November 1995 shall be set off against their outstanding obligations.