• The clearance process remains opaque. Urgently needed early recovery materials remain highly restricted and construction materials remain prohibited. Furthermore there is an urgent need for agricultural materials to repair the damage caused by operation cast lead. According to UN figures, upto 60 percent of Gaza’s agricultural infrastructure was damaged and needs urgent repair. This is affecting the food security of 13,000 families who depend on this sector and seriously hampers the local production of food in the Gaza Strip. 75 truckloads of commercial agricultural materials have been able to enter Gaza from 28 June to 4 July however to date FAO have been unable to gain clearance for their humanitarian agricultural projects.
• The logistics cluster is working on an updated evaluation of the capacity and upgrade requirements of Karem Shalom.
2. LOGISTICS COORDINATION
• Jerusalem–Gaza Logistics Cluster: Since 25 January the Logistics Cluster has delivered 6271 pallets of cargo (approx. 6305 MT) of humanitarian cargo to the Gaza Strip through Kerem Shalom crossing, on behalf of 28 cluster participants.
3. UPDATE ON COORDINATION WITH COGAT
• The Logistics Cluster Support Cell received clearance for wheelchairs on 6 June (which had been pending approval since 14 April). A shipment for Anera hygiene and kitchen kits including jerry-cans was cleared in one day.
• The Logistics Cluster continues to request clearance of the following items currently listed as ‘under review’ in the document ‘Clearance Status of Humanitarian Cargo’
• The 22 March 2009 Cabinet decision on lifting of restrictions on food items is enacted into legislation and consistently implemented.
• Lifting of the prohibition on delivery of materials essential to the implementation of humanitarian programmes (early recovery; shelter; agriculture)
• Rafah crossing is open daily for humanitarian cargo in addition to transfer of medical goods and personnel
• Lighting is installed at the Gaza side of Kerem Shalom crossing
• Construction and use of an additional staging area /loading bay at the Gaza side of the Kerem Shalom crossing
• Containers are permitted for use at Karni and Kerem Shalom crossings
• A system for double-stacking of pallets is implemented at crossings
Logistics Cluster, 9 JULY 2009