The General Assembly,
Recalling its resolutions 2656 (XXV) of 7 December 1970, 2728 (XXV) of 15 December 1970, 2971 (XXVI) of 6 December 1971, 55/124 of 8 December 2000 and the previous resolutions on this question,
Recalling also its decision 36/462 of 16 March 1982, by which it took note of the special report of the Working Group on the Financing of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East,1/
Having considered the report of the Working Group,2/
Taking into account the report of the Commissioner-General of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East covering the period from 1 July 2000 to 30 June 2001,3/
Deeply concerned about the continuing financial situation of the Agency, which has affected and affects the continuation of the provision of necessary Agency services to Palestine refugees, including the emergency-related and humanitarian programmes,
Emphasizing the continuing need for extraordinary efforts in order to maintain, at least at the current level, the activities of the Agency, as well as to enable the Agency to carry out essential construction,
1. Commends the Working Group on the Financing of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East for its efforts to assist in ensuring the financial security of the Agency;
2. Takes note with approval of the report of the Working Group;2/
3. Requests the Working Group to continue its efforts, in cooperation with the Secretary-General and the Commissioner-General, to find a solution to the financial situation of the Agency;
4. Welcomes the new, unified budget structure for the biennium 2002-2003 which can contribute significantly to improved budgetary transparency of the Agency;
5. Requests the Secretary-General to provide the necessary services and assistance to the Working Group for the conduct of its work.
1/ A/36/866 and Corr.1; see also A/37/591.
3/ Official Records of the General Assembly, Fifty-sixth Session, Supplement No. 13 (A/56/13).