Presidential Decree Announces Postponment of PLC Elections
The President of PNA has issued a decree which postpones the PLC elections that were scheduled for July 17, 2005.
Below is the text of that decree.
President of the PLO Executive Committee
President of the Palestinian National Authority
- The amended Basic Law of 2003;
- the General Elections' Law No 13 of 1995 and amendments to it;
- the Presidential Decree No 5 dated January 8, 2005;
- and the Central Elections Commission's letter No M.T 939-2005 dated May 23, 2005.
And based on:
- The national consensus towards adopting a new electoral law which
passed a 3rd PLC reading;
- our comments on the 3rd PLC reading of the new election law project,which were made in accordance with the national consensus arrived to in Cairo;
- the authorities given to us;
- and the public interest.
We decree the following:
1- The date for holding new PLC elections, specified in presidential
decree No 5 dated January 8 2005, is hereby cancelled.
2- A new date for holding PLC elections will be announced by a
presidential decree that will be issued after legal procedures and national consultations have been completed.
All relevant parties must abide by this decree which goes into effect as of the date of its issuance.
Decree to be published in official newspaper.
Issued in the city of Ramallah on June 3rd, 2005.