Question of Palestine home
21 February 1985
LETTER DATED 21 FEBRUARY 1985 FROM THE PERMANENT
REPRESENTATIVE OF LEBANON TO THE UNITED NATIONS
ADDRESSED TO THE SECRETARY-GENERAL
Further to my letters concerning Israel's acts of aggression and practices in Southern Lebanon, the western Bekaa and the Rashaya district, and on instructions from my Government, I have the honour to inform you of the following:
1 - The Israeli Forces and engaging for many days now in the areas under their occupation, more specifically Nabatieh, Tyre, Rashaya and western Bekaa, in a series of raids, arrests, killings and repression. These operations and consequent practices have resulted in a great number of casualties. Besides the wounded, some of them seriously, six people are known to be killed while many other corpses still lay in the streets as they could not be identified due to the siege laid by the forces of occupation in these areas.
2 - Israeli officials have repeatedly indicated the willingness of Israel to continue to mount repressive operations and to intensify them in compliance with their stated "iron fist" policy. Such policy is a prelude to an escalation of their acts of repression and abusive acts.
3 - In addition to the list of Israeli practices, in annex, the latest information coming from the area indicate that an Israeli force strong with a great number of soldiers in armored personnel carriers and other military vehicles and bulldozers, has made its way to the villages of Deir Kanoun and Tair Dibbah, the former situation at 8 kms. north-east of Tyre.
The Government of Lebanon, while strongly protesting against these Israeli acts of aggression and abusive practices, reserves its right to request a special meeting of the Security Council should it deem that necessary.
I should be grateful if you would have the text of this letter circulated as a document of the Security Council.
M. Rachid FAKHOURY
Further report on Israeli abusive practices in
Southern Lebanon: 12-20 February 1985
1 - On 12 February 1985: the village of Kamed El-Loz is surrounded and a house in it belonging to a Mr. Mohieddine Hussein GHADDAR, is demolished.
2 - 15 February 1985: the Israeli forces continue, for the fourth consecutive day to surround Kamed El-Loz and to prevent its inhabitants to enter or leave the village, even the sick and the elderly; a food shortage is being felt by the population.
3 - 17 February 1985: the villages of Deir Mimas and Kfar Kila are besieged and 15 and 22 persons are being detained from each respectively.
4 - 18 February 1985: the Israeli forces
- enter the village of Bazurieh, shooting at random and conducting searches of houses and places of worships, ransacking their furnitures and detaining nine persons.
- shot, Mr. Ghazi AWADA (10 years old) and Mohammad Jaatar KASSIR (18 years old) seriously wounding them at the triangle of Deir Qanun El Nahr.
5 - During the night of 18-19 February 1985: the village of Tibnin is raided, its houses stormed and one inhabitant, Mr. Mohammed Mahmoud HAIDAR (20 years old) shot at and killed.
6 - 18
February 1985: the village of Tair Dibbah is besieged and house searches conducted.
7 - 19
- The Israelis shot at 2 persons, killing them instantly: Mr. Salim Mohammad ELABED (58 years old), on the road between the villages of Burj Rahal and Qasmieh, and Mr. Louay Riad FAKIH, in the triangle of Abbassieh - Deir Kanoun - Burj Rahal.
- 60 armored vehicles and bulldozers enter the village of Bazurieh.
- At the intersection leading to the region of Nabed El Tasseh, the Israeli forces surrounded the area when an unidentified dead man corpse was found, and prevented the Lebanese internal security forces from investigating on the scene.
- The village of Qar'un is besieged for two days, the students prevented from returning to the village and six people were detained.
- The village of Burj Rahal is surrounded, its school destroyed and the teachers detained.
8 - 20
- A corpse was found on the road to Abbasieh village and was brought to Tyre hospital by ICRC.
- At the passover to Numeiryeh, two women Najwa Hussein MAHMOUD (20 years old) and Khadijeh Mohammad TALEB (54 years old) were shot at, and seriously wounded.
- The village of Bazurieh is besieged and all roads leading to it, were cut as well as cutting the roads between Tyre - Tair Debbah - Maarakeh.
- 3 bullet-ridden corpses from Israeli fire wee found on the road between the villages of Bazurieh and Tair Debbah.
9 - 21
- The Israeli forces entered the village of Bazurieh, blew up four houses and detained four persons.
- In the village of Arab Salim, after four days of still continuing siege, it is reported that:
* Nobody is allowed to enter or leave the village.
* A great number of casualties, dead and wounded, still lay in the streets.
* Four people are known to have been killed, one of them was identified as Mr. Hassan Ahmad HASSAN (29 years old).
* Six houses were razed by the Israeli bulldozers.
* More bulldozers were brought in, and 20 persons were deported.
* The inhabitants are gathered in a pool of mud in the rain.
* Red Cross delegates were prevented from entering the village.
* All the houses and the cars were looted or stolen.
- 20 military vehicles and a bulldozer entered the village of Deir Kanoun El Nahr.