Question of Palestine home || Permalink || About UNISPAL || Search

English (pdf) ||Arabic||Chinese||Français||Русский||Español||

Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS


        Security Council
6 June 1967

Supplemental Information Received by the Secretary-General

1. In view of the apparent uncertainty about the time when the Security Council will convene, I am circulating to the Members information which I have received since the issuance of document S/7930 in order not to delay the availability of this information to the Members.

2. The Chief of Staff of UNTSO reported on the evening of 5 June as follows:

3. The situation in Tiberias and Damascus was reported quiet. The situation in Beirut was reported as quiet. The Chairman of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan-Israel Mixed Armistice Commission had been informed by the Israel delegate that Jordan was shelling Tel Aviv and Lydda and by the Jordanian delegate that Israel was shelling Jenin. He was further informed by the Israel delegate that Israel would bomb Ramallah and Amman if Jordan did not stop shelling Tel Aviv and Lydda. The Chairman of the Mixed Armistice Commission approached both sides in an effort to stop Jordanian shelling and the threatened retaliation by Israel. In Jerusalem heavy machine-gun and mortar fire was continuing in the general area of Mount Scopus.

4. Firing in Jerusalem continued throughout the night of 5/6 June, and on 6 June heavy mortar and machine-gun firing continued in and north of the Mandelbaum Square area. At about dawn Israel forces appeared to be making a ground attack to link up with Mount Scopus, employing close air support. The Chairman of the Mixed Armistice Commission is still in his headquarters but has lost contact with the delegates of both parties.

5. The UNTSO Tiberias control centre reported that heavy firing broke out at 0355 hours GMT on 6 June along almost the entire length of the Israel/Syria Armistice Demarcation Line. Artillery, tanks, aircraft and napalm were employed. The UNTSO Tiberias control centre reported that at 0528 hours GMT Syrian armed forces had launched an infantry attack from Tel Azaziat towards Shea'r. At 0552 hours the Senior Israel Delegate informed the Israel-Syrian Mixed Armistice Commission that Syrian forces had launched an armour and infantry attack towards Tel El Qadi. A cease-fire had been proposed by the Chairman of the Mixed Armistice Commission for 0600 hours GMT but the fighting continued. At 0943 hours GMT the Chairman of the Israel-Syrian Mixed Armistice Commission reported that he was still in contact with both the Syrian and Israel delegations and that the bulk of his OP's continued to be manned. Two proposed cease-fires since the fighting broke out along the Israel/Syria Armistice Demarcation Line had been unsuccessful, and in his opinion a local cease-fire was not feasible in the present circumstances.

6. Israel newscasts reported that Latrun and Jenin in Jordan had been occupied by the Israel forces.

7. In Gaza the Commander of UNEF had attempted by messages to the military authorities of both the United Arab Republic and Israel to secure a general cease-fire by both sides around camps and other concentrations of UNEF troops. The communications of HQ UNEF had been made extremely difficult by Israel artillery fire in and around the area of UNEF headquarters and UNEF radio antennae and telephone wires were cut. The contingents of UNEF had been caught during the day of 5 June in various exchanges of fire between the two sides as reported by me on 5 June. All efforts are being made to concentrate UNEF personnel in safe areas and to arrange for their evacuation. A Swedish ship is arriving in Gaza during the day of 6 June to evacuate the Swedish contingent, the Norwegian Hospital and various non-essential personnel. Other possibilities for evacuation are being urgently examined both at Headquarters and in the area. The Force Commander reported that urgent consideration was being given to bringing the Indian Battalion to Tre Kroner Camp in Gaza on foot on 6 June.

8. UNEF headquarters came under direct Israel artillery fire during the night of 5/6 June. Efforts were made by the Commander to contact the Israel authorities with a view to stopping this fire. However, after two and a half hours of intensive shelling, which caused heavy damage to the headquarters buildings and damaged nearly half of its vehicles, the Commander of UNEF was forced to abandon his headquarters when a direct hit completely knocked out his radio communications. During this artillery fire three Indian soldiers were killed and three Indian soldiers wounded. I am protesting to the Israeli Government the shelling of UNEF headquarters and the tragic loss of life caused by it.

9. The Commander of UNEF re-established his headquarters in the Tre Kroner Camp near the beach in Gaza and re-established communications. At 1040 hours GMT he reported heavy small arms firing in the town of Gaza. He also reported that the Indian contingent was surrounded at Deir el Ballah at 0700 hours GMT by Israel troops who had left them alone and proceeded towards the town of Deir el Ballah where fighting continued. Rafah Camp has also been by-passed by Israel forces and is quiet. The Yugoslav contingent at El Arish reported continued exchanges of fire between the two sides. The Swedish contingent in the Tre Kroner Camp near Gaza beach are reported all safe and it is intended to evacuate them by ship from Gaza today, 6 June.

10. At 1225 hours GMT the Commander of UNEF reported that an Israel tank unit had entered Gaza town at 1100 hours GMT and at 1115 hours GMT had by-passed the United Nations Tre Kroner Camp and had proceeded north along the beach road. Firing in Gaza died down from about 1145 hours GMT. At 1200 hours GMT the Yugoslav contingent in El Arish reported all quiet.

11. In closing I must express to members of the Council, and particularly to the representative of India, my deep regret at the heavy casualties which the Indian contingent have suffered through no fault of their own and in a situation where they had no means of defending themselves. I ask the Permanent Representative to express to the Government of India and to the families concerned my deep condolences and sympathy.

Follow UNISPAL RSS Twitter