Question of Palestine home
12 September 1994
REPORT OF THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL
PERMANENT SOVEREIGNTY OVER NATIONAL RESOURCES IN THE
OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN AND OTHER ARAB TERRITORIES
1. The Council considered the question of permanent sovereignty over national resources in the occupied Palestinian and other Arab territories at its substantive session (agenda item 8). It had before it the report of the Secretary-General on the economic and social consequences of the establishment of settlements by Israel in the Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, occupied since 1967, and the Syrian Golan (A/49/169-E/1994/73).
2. The Council considered the item at its 46th and 49th meetings, on 27 and 29 July 1994. An account of the discussion is contained in the relevant summary records (E/1994/SR.46 and 49).
3. At the 46th meeting, on 27 July, the representative of the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia made an introductory statement.
Economic and social repercussions of the Israeli settlements on the
Palestinian people in the Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem,
occupied since 1967, and on the Arab population of the Syrian Golan
4. At the 46th meeting, on 27 July, the representative of Egypt, on behalf of Djibouti,
/ Egypt, Jordan,
/ Kuwait and Yemen,
introduced a draft resolution (E/1994/L.34) entitled "Economic and social repercussions of the Israeli settlements on the Palestinian people in the Palestinian territory, including Jerusalem, occupied since 1967, and on the Arab population of the Syrian Golan".
5. At the 49th meeting, on 29 July, the Council adopted the draft resolution by a recorded vote of 46 to 1, with 3 abstentions. For the final text, see Council resolution 1994/45. The voting was as follows:
Angola, Australia, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bhutan, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Denmark, Egypt, France, Gabon, Germany, Ghana, Greece, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kuwait, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Madagascar, Mexico, Norway, Pakistan, Paraguay, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, Senegal, Sri Lanka, Suriname, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United Republic of Tanzania, Venezuela, Zimbabwe.
United States of America.
Belarus, Russian Federation, Ukraine.
6. Before the draft resolution was adopted, statements were made by the representative of the United States of America and the observer for Israel. After it was adopted, statements were made by the representatives of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Ukraine and Japan and the observer for Palestine.
/ In accordance with rule 72 of the rules of procedure of the Economic and Social Council.
* The present document is a preliminary version of the parts of the report of the Economic and Social Council relating to the organizational and resumed organizational sessions for 1994, the special session and the substantive session of 1994. The part of the report relating to the resumed substantive session will be issued as an addendum to this document. The final report will be issued as
Official Records of the General Assembly, Forty-ninth Session, Supplement No. 3
The resolutions and decisions adopted by the Council at the organizational and resumed organizational sessions for 1994, at the special session and at the substantive session of 1994 were issued initially in documents E/1994/INF/3 and Add.l and E/1994/INF/6. Those adopted at the resumed substantive session will be issued in document E/1994/INF/6/Add.1. The resolutions and decisions will be issued in final form in
Official Records of the Economic and Social Council, 1994, Supplement No. 1